Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Is you IM or is you ain't; stop hectoring me; the joy of E

What a nutty day.

Having taken on the role as myrmidon to CP’s tabroom.com Achilles, I dove in and started throwing around tournaments and data like crazy while he lazed around in the tent doing who-knows-what Achilles-like things. It was fun. You get to help random people screw up their tournaments from the get-go, which is great because normally I just get to screw up my own. Why Cooper didn’t want two tournaments in the same place on the same day, for instance, eluded me. Doesn’t the guy know how to think big? Oh, well, I obliged him and sent one to the devil. I even got CP on the IM horn at some point, to resolve an issue or two. He seems to live on IM. Bietz, on the other hand, always seems to have just turned off his IM. Some people are just IMers, I guess, and others aren’t. As far as I’m concerned, it’s just one more way to enjoy a visit with Colonel Panic on the DJ Mac, but that’s just me. (I’ve been getting kernel visits on a daily basis, lately, and I can’t figure out why. I'd ask IT but they're too many continents away.)

Speaking of Myrmidons, capital M, I saw “Troilus and Cressida” Saturday night. Real live Myrmidons! Yes! You’ve got to love outdoor summer Shakespeare. And it’s off to “Inception” tonight, so that I can decide whether to be in the backlash or the backlash to the backlash, before it becomes simply anticipointment. In either case, there’s $1.00 popcorn on Tuesday nights. Normally we have debate meetings on Tuesday nights. When I retire, I’ll be able to improve my Tuesday nights dramatically, unless the Sailors start selling me popcorn. Cheap.

I’m very impressed with this whole electronic book business, btw. I hear something on a podcast or whatever, I go to Amazon, the next thing you know, the book is on my iPad. Maybe two minutes (and $12.99) have elapsed. Pretty cool. As for the experience of e-reading, that’s a no-brainer. I mean, it’s just reading, with a cuter page flip, at least on iBooks. On Stanza, no cute page flip, and I use Stanza to read manuscripts for the DJ, so that’s sort of sad, but the end result is the same. And it beats the hell out of reading books on my Touch. I don’t care how sharp your screen is, or how convenient your phone is, a screen the size of a hamster is not big enough to enjoy reading a book. Yes, you can get used to it, but the Russians had Stalin for over 30 years and I guess they got used to him, too. That doesn’t make him Abraham Lincoln, though, and getting used to the iPhone or Touch or whatever doesn’t make it the Gutenberg Bible.

No comments: