Thursday, April 16, 2009

ModNov rises from the dead, and Nero twitters while Rome burns

We just went through a remarkable false ending over at the Modest Novice. I had sort of reached a personal mental impasse, for one reason or another. We certainly weren’t getting uniform agreement on the wording, and I was beginning to wonder if we weren’t just chasing chimeras, and I figured close was close enough, and let’s put this puppy out of its misery. So, I announced the final topic. At which point CP instantly demurred, using less vigorous language than usual (he threatened neither my life nor the life of my cats), saying that we could do better. He’s right. So, the discussion remains open, but it has now heated up. Dive in, if you have an opinion, especially if you have an improvement. We’ve kicked around violence, so to speak, and I think dismissed it, based on Sheryl’s discussion (which made a lot of sense to me). Most else is up for grabs, though. And I really do want to put this puppy out of its misery. Please help me before CP does, indeed, threaten the lives of my cats. They’ve never hurt anyone (except SuperSquirrel, but she brings it on herself).

I’m also trying to coordinate with CP the use of the @tabroom Twitter account. It does make sense that he gets publishing access to it, but I’m trying to do that short of just having him sign in as me. After all, my own plan is to use my own cell (and home account of @jimmenick) to direct-message to @tabroom which will then broadcast to the assembled multitudes. I want to keep this as a phone thing, since that’s the physical medium everyone always has at tournaments. The thing is, CP hasn’t caught the Twitter bug yet, so we’re hemming and hawing about it. In any case, as I’ve said, Saturday I’ll be running a test session at the Spring Fun RR, so you can sign up between now and then to follow it live. (Live coverage! I’m starting to sound like WTF! Jeesh. And O’C hasn’t even got a Twitter acct yet, despite Bietz’s trying to batter him into it. Can you imagine the nightmare when O’C finally does sign up? We’ll all have to turn our cell phones in to the local authorities.) @jimmenick is becoming a place for me mostly to post tech and entertainment stuff, meanwhile, if you have any interest in that. Pick your poison. I’ll try to make them entertaining or useful enough to warrant people’s interest.

One thing about Twitter, by the way, is that half the people who follow you seem to be businesses of some sort or another. And the mobile updates I want seem to not take, or at least not take permanently, but then if you check somewhere else, they do. Oy. For a fad app, this is one pile of problems. Would Google please buy them, now, and take us all out of their misery?

O’C, by they way, is texting off and on from Andorra, home of the Disney princesses. Or something like that. You’ve got to love the iPhone. It even works when you’re trapped in the back seat of a Citroen surrounded by your cobbler cousins from Cabrales, eating their own homemade cheese, driving through the French countryside and wondering if you’re missing any new updates on the Star Trek film. At least he doesn’t have to suffer through finding dates for the Northeast Chumps. Lucky #(*&$^@%!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, eerily, the iPhone went dead once I passed through the Andorran border. It wouldn't work on the Andorran network! It worked again perfectly once I left. I cheated a bit with the "I am in Andorra!"-style message, because I sent it moments before we passed through the border. Then, it was silence.