Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The one thing you need to know about pedal-pushers (AKA clam-diggers)

If God had meant for women to wear capri pants, he would have given them shorter legs.

That said, we can get down to business. Last night the New Gods of MHL met to plan out the coming year (to wit, me and Kurt and OC). As I’ve said, bringing Jon into an administrative position in the organization brings it full circle, going back to Soddy as one of the founding fathers. In practice, Kurt brings a policy background and plenty of connections with the likes of the UDL, plus an ability to get cheap trophies, I bring some general organizational know-how plus a willingness to write emails and create websites and such at the drop of a hat, and Jon brings the strength of probably the biggest program in the region and becomes someone I can dump the finances on, which has been something of a bete noire for me, since a lot of schools can’t dole out checks to individuals, but which OC can handle through Bx. And of course we all agree that a commitment to new debaters, which has always been the core idea of the Mid-Hudson League, is all-important to keeping forensics strong in the region. In other words, MHL is in great shape going forward.

In between the various morsels of gossip, we sorted out:
Finances—we’ve got a few hundred dollars in the bank, which I’ll be transferring to OC, and no problem keeping a stock of trophies on hand.
Public Forum—we’ll keep offering it, even though last year our turnout was slim. I think that only at Mini-Bump did we collect a quorum.
Schedule—we’ve got a weekend every month from Oct through Jan. There’s an issue getting a place in December, but we’re looking at a NYC venue, to attract UDL and MDL schools, and that should work out nicely. For the others, it’s Byram Hills, Monti, and Hunter (in concert with a pre-existing policy event, much like the Montclair tournament last year). In essence, we’re filling up all the weekends not covered by invitationals. And this year the newcomer event will be a standalone, rather than a fly in the Big Bronx ointment.
Registration—I had talked to Chris Palmer about using his tabroom.com software. When I see him at Yale, I’ll press him on it. It’s far from essential for something as simple as MHLs, but it could be useful.

On the social side, if you’re thinking of eating at Legal Seafood in White Plains any time soon, I would advise you to order your meal a week or so in advance, to insure that it will arrive on the same day you do. Jeesh! These guys didn’t just catch and cook the fish, after they take your order they go in the back, grab some paramecia, toss them into some protoplasm and wait for them to evolve gills! It all tasted fine, I guess, but it’s hard to tell when you’re starving to death.

At one point in the evening, Kurt innocently noted that he was something of a Disney fanatic. This was analogous to a dying gazelle looking up from the veldt and wondering what those vultures did when they get hungry, considering that I was on-site the year Disneyland opened, and OC has been to WDW every month since he was old enough to reach the height line for Dumbo (which, I gather, he is still willing to wait six hours for, as long as it includes getting Cinderella’s autograph; for that matter, I understand he carries a drop of Sleeping Beauty’s blood in a vial around his neck a la Billy Bob and Angelina). It’s amazing what you learn about people as you get to know them. By the way, the answer to the question posted earlier, does OC gamble, was answered in the affirmative, although he claims to be a cheapskate. Join the club. In any case, midnight at Monticello is looking progressively more interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To clarify for the audience: my gambling consists of nickle slot machines. I didn't even know that counted! For the record, I did win around a thousand dollars on a slot machine during my last trip. Sadly, this time, I lost more than I gained on the lovely machines in Excalibur, Caesar's Palace, and, of course, the lovely Tropicana.