Monday, March 30, 2020

The rut of coachean existence (which Blogger always wants to change to coachman)

Over the weekend some of us got all het up about playing some online games. So far I will say that I sort of enjoy Carcassonne, but its recent change of ownership, literally as we were downloading it, meant a bit of confusion among the usual suspects, not to mention that its German origins kept resulting in error messages like Du bist gescreweden. But at least I now have a game going with a couple of people, including Kate, whose time zone delay makes it fairly slow going. But no matter how slow it gets, one still manages to make dumb mistakes. Meanwhile we also went through some contortions on Catan, but I think they’ve been ironed out. I played a practice game today that was both endless and, seemingly, pointless. I’ve tried this game before, and its charms continue to elude me. Anyhow, everyone else thinks it’s the cat’s pajamas, so I’ll give it another go.

Unlike most people, my retirement last year makes the lockdown not much different than non-lockdown. I work on writing off and on all day, with occasional drifting into photo editing and long walks to listen to audiobooks. I’ve been digitizing my old photos going back to the 70s, and am now up to 1994. I look forward to the purchase of my first digital camera in the Spring of 2003 (I think). The tedium of scanning a handful of pictures at a time on one computer, the one with the big hard drive that is slower than [your metaphor here for some really slow thing], then exporting and editing on the Macbook (docked into a decent monitor and keyboard), then uploading and sharing on the cloud—jeesh! Talk about busy work. Sometimes it’s entertaining to revisit some of the old vacations and whatnot, but other times I have to wonder what the hell I was taking a picture of, and worse, where the hell. Oh, well. It keeps one busy indoors, and it is all part of my family history project.

As for the writing, there’s fiction (there’s always fiction, nowadays all for the granddaughter), and there’s work on the good old jimmenick.com website, which I do like keeping up-to-date. (Needless to say, I’m not prepping for any tournaments at the moment, and probably won’t again until October.) I’m also going through this blog’s archives looking for stuff worth preserving. I’ll post some here when I come up with it. 

Anyone want to trade sheep for wheat?




No comments: