Thursday, March 26, 2020

Been There, Been Doin’ That

Given that I retired from the Day Job at the beginning of 2019, I’m not exactly new to being around the house all day. Of course, before Commander Cuomo forbade it for we 70+ folks, I did on occasion sally forth for one thing or another, most notably debate tournaments and the like, but I did have time on my hands that I had not had before, and the question was, how to fill it.

For me, this was easy. My granddaughter being born in 2017 helped me focus my mind on what, if anything, I had to bequeath to her. Family history was an obvious answer. First of all, I and I alone know my own story (I’m an only child), so there’s a touch of memoir to pass along, and additionally there’s all the family lore that I picked up over the years about my parents and their parents, real stuff, at least anecdotally, as compared to steamship passenger lists and birth certificate searches. Secondly, although related, there is a trove of photographs and the like that were collecting dust and discoloration in various albums, all of which needed modernization. With these things in mind, I settled down to the creation of a family history, now completed, and also committed to the seemingly endless task of digitizing old photographs, which I am now about halfway through. In other words, while I wasn’t working anymore at the DJ, I was still working. The big difference was that the alarm didn’t go off in the morning, and I didn’t have to spend endless hours reading a lot of crappy books to find a handful of good ones. (I did  take up some quality reading, though. All of my own choosing. We’ll get to that eventually.)

The point of all this is that, despite being under lockdown, it doesn’t really have that much effect on me personally, because I already have a fairly set routine for the day (and, thank goodness, my wife and I are healthy). My sympathies go out to those whose lives are obviously torn asunder by current events, or maybe even suffering from the virus. I mean, this is the real magilla.

For the moment all I can say is stay safe. And be good. This too shall pass. 

2 comments:

Joe said...

Welcome back! I, for one, missed your entries. And having spent some time around (local) tournaments and tab rooms over the past year, a lot of what you have written is still relevant. Shenanigans gonna shenanigan.

pjwexler said...

I for one think 'The Shenanigans' would be an awesome mascot once we get back to having mascots.