Monday, December 03, 2018

In which we Tigger


These college tournaments do go on…

The Tigger kicks off with registration at 2 on Friday, with the first round scheduled for 5. Sheryl and I parked ourselves at a table where we got to, A) greet old friends and acquaintances as they arrived, and B) tell people who didn’t have a clue what they were doing to either go ask someone else or listen to Sheryl Kazsplain to them how tournaments were invented during the Zachary Taylor administration, etc. Etc. Etc. I’m tempted to buy her a Scowling Menick mask to wear at future events like this. The one I wear works like a charm.

The big problem with college tournaments is, of course, their attractiveness to folks beyond the normal range of attendees. The people showing up at Ridge High School this coming weekend will, with the exception of maybe one or two PF parents who got suckered in, know what they are doing. Kaz tries to help laypersons in her way, and I admit trying to help them in mine. What I do is send out wonderfully brilliant literature explaining everything they need to know so that they will be prepared in advance. There are two problems with that. The people who are most in need of this information either don’t read the emails, or don’t understand the information when they do read it. My authorial skills apparently don’t bridge the ESL gap, which doesn’t bode well for the poor schmegeggies these undocumented aliens are going to be judging over the course of the weekend. I’m no supporter of Trump, but if he were to suggest barring non-English speaking folks from forensics tournaments, I might at least raise an eyebrow. We could even get Mexico to pay for it. Yeah, I know. I only speak English, and my ignorance of other languages is shameful. But then again, I’m not trying to judge debate rounds conducted entirely in any of those languages. We’re not just talking accents here. I long ago came up with the reply about  my own Hen Hud team, when someone would complain about this one excellent judge I had, “Uh, fella, she’s been speaking English longer than you have.” But this isn’t that.

Hence another reason why I’m wary of independent travelers.

Anyhow, the biggest mistake we made during the tournament was not hiding the tab room in the nearest locked fallout shelter. Because we were right in the line of sight, we fielded question after question about PF, to which the answer was, We’re not the PF tab. Where was said PF tab? I don't know. I couldn't find them either. Meanwhile, we had one person move in to write ballots because she couldn’t figure out how to use the wifi and could only connect to Kaz’s tethered smartphone. That person’s own phone? A flipping flip phone! And you thought flip phones were a thing of the past. Silly you.

The tournament was the usual. The LD pool wasn’t as strong as we would have liked, partly because the Tiggers don’t have many ex-LDers at the school at the moment. But we did our best, and didn’t screw up anything. In fact, somehow—and I know this doesn’t make sense—we had to run a double-flighted run-off because we couldn’t scrape together good enough panels otherwise, but then immediately thereafter were able to do quite good panels for a single-flighted doubles round that was even larger. Go figure.

Anyhow, another one has bit the dust. Onward.

No comments: