Monday, May 01, 2017

In which we begin to review States

I have no recollection of when I last attended the States tournament. I also have no idea why we all call it States, plural, since the last time I looked, New York was one singular state, but that’s what everyone calls it, and who am I to blow against the wind.

States was always important for the Hud. First of all, it was the goal all the Speech people set for themselves. Sure, they’d like to qualify for a national tournament, but there were always limits to what our district or diocese could send. But States was only limited by one’s ability to qualify. Going to States was important, a gratifying end to the season. Doing well, if it happened, was an added bonus. This year there were maybe seven hundred some-odd Speecho-Americans. That ain’t hay.

States was also important for debaters. To begin with, even the idea of TOC was only marginal in most minds when I first started. Its importance grew over time, but even so, it’s an elite event, and, like CatNats and NatNats, hard to qualify for. States, again, was within reach. And more importantly, States was the goal for younger students. There were novice and JV divisions. You could compete at your own level, and become a state champion. I can remember fielding at least two state champion debaters. There may have been more, but I just can’t remember. I can’t remember if I woke up this morning, so, well, what can I say?

So on the one hand, States continues to hold a place of importance, both for speech and debate. And it doesn’t matter if you are on the hunt for bids for your varsity. If you are, fine, as long as you don’t make that the end-all be-all. Then again, maybe at your school you don’t care about your younger debaters. Maybe you don’t make sure they get as many rounds as they can, and as much support as you can give them. Maybe, in other words, you’re not very good at your job. So it goes. Who am I to judge? (he asked judgmentally.)

One of the things I think a lot of bid-hunters forget is that the majority of debate in the country is regional. There are thousands of debaters out there for whom the TOC isn’t even a wish on a star. They just don’t give a flying patootie. They are active in their region, and that’s all they care about. Working at States this weekend reminded me that there is a whole universe of people who don’t even attend invitationals in the extended region, the tournaments I normally work. They don’t drive endless hours and sleep over. They do what they do, where they are. As I sail the Debate Beagle to these remote islands, I see that they have evolved in their own way. JV’s opening remarks to people was that they were not to apply their own standards to the rounds, but to be open to the fact that different regions might have different standards. The point he made was that if, in your region, this sort of argument is not allowed, keep in mind that you are no longer in your region. All arguments are allowed: the point is whether or not they win the debate, not whether or not they are to your taste.

Over the space of two days I saw few familiar faces in the judge pool. I saw few familiar team initials on the schematics. I liked that. I liked the fact that we were running a state tournament with well over a thousand entrants from the Great Lakes over to the tip of Long Island. God knows I always had (and still have) reservations about some of the practices of the league, but the fact that it thrives, with coaches working hard for their students despite the temptations to toss over the vast majority of kids in favor of the special few who are $ircuit-worthy, makes me feel good. I’m glad I went, and could lend my tabbing skills to the event.


I’d do it again in a minute. (Or, honestly, seeing how tuckered out I was by it, I’d do it again in a year.)


///

No comments: