Tuesday, May 16, 2017

In which we are unenthusiastic about the latest app

Holy smokes, Batman! There’s an app for CatNats: https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id1220562992?mt=8

The bind moggles.

Going by the description on iTunes, the app has all the information from the CatNat website conveniently presented in one easy-to-access location. The idea that the CatNat website already conveniently presented all the information in one easy-to-access location may have eluded a few people. Maybe the fact that an app is available on a mobile device while web pages are not avai—Oh. Wait a minute.

We live in a strange world, and the Natholic Catholics are not the only ones who inhabit it. People above a certain age, let’s say the mid-30s but it could be elsewhere, live on computers. People below that age live on mobile devices. Because apps for mobile exist, and lots of people are mobile-addicted, there is a widespread belief that it’s better to have things in an app, even though those exact same things can be on a website, and nowadays even the clunkiest websites can be funneled into decent-looking content on mobile.

Go figure. To me, the idea that I need a specialized program to do something that I can already do via a browser is crazy. One browser = infinite apps. One app = one app.

I know, by the way, that this is crazy talk. If I were fighting this as a battle, I would lose. I know I’ve lost it long ago at the DJ. Yes, I am a dinosaur.


I can live with that. 

(Oh. I see you've stopped reading because you went over to iTunes to download the CatNaps app. So it goes.)


///

No comments: