Tuesday, February 07, 2017

In which we fondly recall Baby Bump

And Baby Bump II is now just a memory.

Once again we ran 4 rounds in a single day, and honestly, the field sizes weren’t bad. It was novice and Academy (i.e., JV) PF and LD. There does seem to be a need for smaller tournaments for younger students in the region, now that there’s no MHL. Granted, the MHL sort of evaporated, but the need for the MHL (even while it existed and was progressively more ignored) is eternal. RIP. Maybe more events like Baby Bump will pop up to replace it. The Paginator is doing something similar at Delbarton on Prexy weekend. Let’s see if he gets the numbers.

B Bump was very  much a throwback. Paper ballots! How quaint. But I just didn’t trust the Hud Hens to get the wifi right, although it seemed to be marginally okay, at least in the tab room, which was a first. Also, no PF flip. (Or, I guess, pflip. PFlip?) If there’s only 4 rounds, do 2 of each. We’ve already eliminated the flip in the local CFL, following the national organization’s lead. Honestly, I don’t know anyone who is in favor of flipping anymore. I wonder how long before major tournaments eliminate it. Who wants to be the first? I dare you. I double dare you. Hell, just putting in a handful of PF strikes caused a major uproar when we first started doing it. Is there anything as conservative as a debate coach over the age of 21?

The tab room staff at B Bump was marginally capable. Catholic Charlie, JV, the Paginator. Me, a lttle bit. What’s that saying about flies and elephant guns? (Actually, is there a saying about flies and elephant guns?) Anyhow, with probably the most high-powered tab team in America, things tend to go rather smoothly. In fact, we collectively spent most of our time on other tournaments. I was room whispering for Penn, Charlie and JV were looking at Districts, and the Paginator was regaling us with epic tales of his adventures making his car payments. Somehow along the way we found the space to add a run-off PF round on Sunday at Penn, which is a very nice thing indeed.

I would say that the idea of B Bump will go on. The weekend is there, the attendees are there, so why not? For me it’s a piece of cake; I can practically walk there. The only problem was that the library was freezing. Next time I’ll wear my longjohns.


///


No comments: