Tuesday, November 22, 2016

In which we scoot from topic to topic, including the topic of topics

Due to recent tabroom outages, a number of high-level tabbers have taken to writing song parodies in their unexpected spare time. Some of these parodies are indicative of, not surprisingly, great minds, all going to waste. I can only hope that tabroom settles down (I wonder which prime number CP is blaming the last crash on) so that these people can all get back to their day jobs.

The Tigger is now set, all fees frozen, all bets on the table. There are a couple of loose ends, but the judging looks good, there’s rooms enough and time, and, well, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. The big issue now will be e-ballots in LD. Over the holiday weekend I’ll sort out the rooms so that the buildings are easy to handle. I expect Friday night to be a fustercluck, since that tends to be the starting position of virtually every tournament everywhere, but that we’ll settle down well on Saturday. I consider it a big deal to move e-ballots into an arena like Pton, where folks are in many many buildings all over creation. I think we have gotten the LD pool relatively well trained, though. We see fewer false starts, for instance. And we’ve prodded the cool kids to understand that, cool as they might be, not pressing start means you’re an asshat. I want that t-shirt, the one that says, "Don’t be stupid be a smarty, come and join the starty party,” but I don’t think it’s on sale to the general public. Too bad.

Meanwhile, the choices for the next PF topic should be coming out soon. If you were wondering, Pro ate Con for breakfast in November, anywhere between 60%-70% of the ballots. No one seemed surprised at this. Given that the world at large has already ceded safety to convenience in the electronic arena (my phone tells me which way to go to work in the morning when I turn it on to start my audiobook on my commute, even though I’ve never told it where I work, or when; Google knows more about me than anyone living or dead). Still, at least people got a chance to find out about the subject, and maybe learn that they are not so much subject to identity theft as to identity dilution as they sputter off into datafication. Now if I could only get to see online ads for products I haven’t bought instead of ads on the products I’ve just bought two minutes ago…


On the political front, which I usually don’t spend much time on, it’s great to see that freedom of the press is being threatened at the highest levels. It’s good to know that the dialectic of speech no longer synthesizes toward the discovery of truth. I’m pretty sure that the first executive order from the Trump White House will be a protection of fake news. Why should truth be given any priorities? Viva la booboisie!

///


No comments: