Tuesday, November 15, 2016

In which we look forward to the Tiggers

I’ve gone from lollygagging around the chez, training the cat to fetch my slippers, to full-bore tournamentia.

I’m pretty happy with the Tiggers. Waitlists have been trimmed and hired judges assigned. As always, there are not enough of these to go around. I’ll pass this information along to the assembled multitudes tonight, and no doubt all Gehenna will break loose, but there are times when people have to realize that judges simply do not grow on trees. The vast majority of Tigger attendees are relatively local, and there is no decent excuse for them not to wrangle some of their alums to give back a bit. As the VCA knows, I always expect a good program to spin off a few lingerers who love the activity so much it takes them a while to get it out of their system. And if a program isn’t generating that love, there’s something wrong with the program. Of course, most programs in fact do generate that love, to some degree. Plus, I used to pay my alums to judge, following the logic that either I’d pay a stranger or I pay one of my own grads. Can indeed buy me love, in other words.

The Tigs hoped to expand and add more PFers, and I would say that the extra 60 or so who signed up is indeed an addition. It will force us to do seven prelims to break all the 5-2s, whereas 6 rounds wouldn’t even come close to breaking all the 4-2s. That makes for a long day, but if you’re in it to win it, you need all those rounds. I hate the idea of a 4-2 screw. A 3-2 screw is bad enough, but at least 3 and 2 sleep together at night, whereas 4 and 2 have twin beds in different corners. It just feels wrong. 5-2 demands a break, and will get it.


Of course, when people hear that they need to provide judges, they’ll drop off a bit. And for that matter, they’ll drop off anyhow, as they always do the week before fees are set. Still, it’s going to be a helluva big tournament. Or a Gehennava big tournament. Pick your own perdition.


///

No comments: