Wednesday, October 26, 2016

In which we falsify some evidence

I’m caught in a bit of a death’s door situation. My head feels like it’s in a bucket of jello, with one ear not working much at all aside from a raging waterfall of tinnitus. At Regis last Saturday I was told that it’s something that’s going around and a lot of people have it, which provided at least a bit of company for my misery. I even took a day off from the DJ just to not have to pretend to hear what people are saying. Anyhow, I seem to be slowly recovering—accent on the slowly—so don’t start sending your lily orders to the funeral home just yet. But I’m not up to snuff, and won’t be for a while. I think I bought that PS4 right in the nick of time, to get me through sick days. I could use a big pile of comics, though. That was what used to get me through when I was a little kid. Big piles of DC comics, from (although who knew it at the time?) the Silver Age. It was almost worth it to get sick to provide my father with an order to bring home from the city. Except for some reason he always felt that I needed Little Lulu as well as Jimmy Olsen. This was why we had the notorious Generation Gap in the 60s.

We haggled a bit over the idea of special wording for an internet rule for tournaments, and didn’t come up with much. The problem is that the NSDA is not definitive, and/or LD and Policy don’t care and do what they want anyhow, and everyone is perfectly content with that. It is in PF where we get all the hoo-ha. I just don’t want to penalize people for relatively innocent connections, mainly accessing their research in the cloud, which could cost them a round, if one were a stickler about it. Yes, you can access your research in an offline vacuum if you really think about it, but it’s a pointless exercise unless you're educating students against DDoS attacks (thank you, Russia, for that display of the lurking threat within the IoT last Friday for the Pfffters among us) or protecting government secrets. When I added wordage about what isn’t allowed, vs what it, murky waters were riled. But just saying what is allowed seems like merely scratching the surface. Of course, in the field, the complaints we get from debaters are more of the “they lied about their evidence” variety. This, at Regis, was novices at their first debate regurgitating a tag from a piece of evidence someone handed to them that they never fully read or understood, where if one were to read the whole article, one would find that the tag is misleading. By me, this is hardly lying about the evidence, or any sort of fabrication. It’s just novices starting out and learning that the prize goes to the more knowledgeable side, when the gap of knowledge is noticeable. Do your own research, in other words, and try to understand it. It seems that every time there’s another PF challenge of some sort, it’s different enough from the last one that we have to think about it all over again, and when we look up the rules, we find enough contradiction to discourage us from even thinking that rules exist. We do usually say that we’re following NSDA rules, though, as some sort of guideline. It’s a conundrum, unfortunately. The students and judges are confused, and then they come to us and we’re confused. It could be solved by people doing their own research and representing their evidence in a straightforward fashion, but for some reason PF folk haven’t gotten to this point yet. Policy is all about evidence, and there the issue is clipping, which is indeed an attempt to deceive, as compared to fabrication, which may be an attempt to deceive but which just really isn’t a thing, as they say. Oh, well. We’ll keep limping along with all of this.

I guess I should acknowledge that you can now vote on the next PF topic. The subject area is federal drug policy, and the two choices couldn’t be any further apart as examples of that subject area. The pharma incentives seems straightforward enough, harms vs benefits, and I like it as an area for students to learn about. I had to look up Plan Colombia (and, admit it, so did you), so it’s either a tad obscure or I just didn’t happen to be in school that day, but, also, there’s nothing terribly wrong with learning about that sort of thing, I guess. More than the choices themselves I’m amused by the idea that they represent different aspects of the same area of study. Drug enforcement does not equal pharmacy industry regulations aside from policing illegal selling. In other words, this is one hell of a wide net. But at least neither of the topics strikes me, on a first, superficial reading, as bad. Just about as comparable as the proverbial chalk and cheese.

By the way, look down the page at the Big Questions topic: "Science leaves no room for free will." Say what? Am I getting too old, or am I just missing something completely?  Don't tell me "both." Let me keep some dignity, please. 

/// 

No comments: