Wednesday, October 19, 2016

In which we discuss accessing the interwebs

I’m not quite sure what the NSDA position is on internet connectivity during rounds, since there seems to be endless rules, proposed rules, temporary rules, revised rules, footnotes, codicils, belles lettres, billets doux, coal scratchings on shovel blades, hieroglyphics in the tomb of the Unknown Declaimer and even a couple of burning bushes all offering different dicta. Needless to say, the question arose at Rather Large Bronx. And trying to resolve the question by turning to the professed authority du jour was, in a word, a mug’s game.

The last time I looked, it was 2016. That means that the physical world we live in has a virtual world living within and beside it. That virtual world is amoral. I mean, once upon a time, the thought that a student might even read a case from a computer was looked upon by some as the work of Satan. I have to include a statement at local CFL events that computer use is not only allowed in rounds, but also represents the air that these students will be breathing going forward into their adult lives. We should attempt to educate students by banning the contemporary tools that they will require for success?

It is a short leap to cloud storage of data. Please look at a computer made in the last few years. Hardware makers more and more assume non-local storage. Big hard drives went out with VisiCalc. I have a Chromebook that, as far as I know, offers no local data storage whatsoever (it weighs about minus-two ounces), and Chromebooks are universally touted (by Chromebook manufacturers) as the perfect devices for students. (I’d say for some students, but that’s beside the point.) Further, cloud storage allows students to share their research, so the benefits to a team are obvious. Instead of putting everything into paper files, we put it into digital files. Instead of putting those digital files on dispersed unconnected computers, we put those files in a central place accessible to the whole team. There’s no reasonable argument against this, and it’s not different from what any modern business does.

If I have my research in a tub, and you ask to see it, I open the tub and find it and hand it to you. Is this intrinsically different from if I have my research in a digital file, I access the file and transmit it to you over the network?

Of course, I can do things via the network that you might find intuitively unacceptable in a debate round. I can message my coach for help. I can do new research to answer something I didn’t prepare for. I certainly wouldn’t want those sorts of things happening in a debate round. But they are not necessarily technology-oriented per se. I don’t want students to claim a need to go to the bathroom to run out and ask their coach outside the door a question. I don’t want a student to run to the back of the room to pull down a physical encyclopedia to do new research during prep time. Tech simplifies and enables activities we frown upon, but at the moment it doesn’t invent new activities, but simply old activities in new bottles.

So I will be proposing the following rule at tournaments I’m running:

Use of electronic devices to access evidence in cloud storage (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive) is permitted in rounds, as is the emailing of that evidence to competitors or judges in the round. Use of electronic devices to research new evidence or communicate with anyone else is prohibited.

My guess is that the NSDA will ultimately say roughly this same thing, in one place, once and for all. It is, I understand, common practice already in policy, but to be honest, I’m more worried about PF judges getting their knickers in a twist than I am any other division. It’s the PF judges, and teams, that keep coming into tab complaining about variations on this theme. I will pass this wording to others before sending it out to a tournament, but I don’t think it will change much. And it may trim down the problems. And for all I know, it might lead to uncovering the ultimate codex among the various extant NSDA rules that is the one rule to rule them all. God knows we couldn’t find it over the weekend, and we tried.

If people are going to be storming into tab complaining about evidence violations, I want real violations. None of this namby-pamby “they used Dropbox” merde de toreaux. I want clipping. I want total fabrication. Damn it! I want Trumpism!!! It's about time high school debate rose to the level of presidential politics.

Oh. Wait a minute...


///

1 comment:

James Kellams said...

Thanks for your view. We have been discussing this topic for several years now and even recently at our NSDA District meeting some weeks back. Most of us believe we are way past the time to permit Internet connectivity in debate rounds (not all school network admins allow it) and we have pretty much accepted it as a way of life. But Extemporaneous Speaking, is a horse of a different color and it seems many speech coaches are clinging to their file boxes full of paper clippings.