Tuesday, May 24, 2016

In which we announce that we have returned from Texas without agreeing with all the people in the hotel breakfast room that we need Trump to solve all the problems facing our woebegotten nation

The NDCA Coach Development Conference was quite successful. Many subjects were covered, and there was lots of discussion and enthusiasm and action points. I’m in the process of putting it all up on the NDCA website. Bietz videoed the presentations, and I’ll get them up there too. He was using Facebook to livestream, although that had the odd glitch, stopping for no reason every now and then and needing a kick in the chest to restart. But mostly it worked. We actually did have a decent number of stream viewers; it must have been a slow weekend for the folks back home. For me, it was my first time in Dallas, aside from changing planes at the airport. Strange city. Lots of driving, not much to look at architecturally along the way. But the flights and the hotel were cheap, and we had good eats (then again, Kaz and I always manage to have good eats), so I’m not complaining. But as I was watching the tornado warnings on Monday morning, I can’t say that I was thinking of relocating out there any time soon.

I’ll tell you, education has changed since I was a lad. I never had to choose between debate and water polo in sixth grade. (I’m not making this up, and I don’t think the person who mentioned it at the conference was making it up either.) I never had to choose anything. Sister Whoever simply gave you that look and you shut up and pretended to pay attention. That, in a nutshell, was my primary school education. Our Lady of Mercy ran through eighth grade, so there was no junior high (as it was called back then) for the Catholic contingent. Public school always seemed sort of scary to those of us who were cloistered (so to speak). I followed up my Catholic grammar school with an all-boy Catholic high school. Not surprisingly, I’m still in recovery.


Anyhow, I’ll let you know when everything is up on the website. You might at least want to look at the Powerpoints.

---

/

No comments: