Monday, April 25, 2016

In which we slouch

Everything seems to be going batty. I would quote the first stanza of Yeats’s “The Second Coming,” but you know it by heart so I won’t bother, or, if you don’t know it, you at least know how to Google it, and if you don’t know how to Google it, you’re not reading this, so there we are.

(The worst are full of passionate intensity? Was Yeats contemplating the 2016 presidential election?)

First of all, the fields of the TOC are stretched beyond recognition. Sorry, people, but it isn’t the TOC if it’s open enrollment. I know that I’ve often said that if the TOC didn’t exist, I wouldn’t invent it. Maybe it’s gotten the idea and it’s starting to self-destruct. I’ve even heard that they might change the date to March in the future. There’s a splendid idea for you.

Everyone seems to want to change their dates. We went through the whole thing with Emory, which apparently has never heard of the idea that there are high schools out there, and that they already have a calendar, and if Emory sneezes, they all don’t catch cold. Now there’s rumblings that our friends at Penn are thinking of moving. Again. Their tournament filled up every available space this year, and a few unavailable spaces, and people came from all across the country. I guess they want to fix that by changing weekends. Go figure. Even venues like Poor Little Byram Hills thinks it needs to be on a Saturday/Sunday rather than Friday/Saturday. My money is on this being a bust for them, but maybe they’re right. But whenever it is discussed that tournaments not start on Fridays, if they can, the same arguments prevail that, uh, some people, like debate coaches, like to have the odd day off on a weekend. Just sayin’.

And of course the Pups tossed me to the winds because I eat too much. Whatever. I see a Pups without Menick as being similar to, well, every other tournament I do without Menick. I’ll be home eating chips and dips and watching reruns on the Golf Channel, so I’ll manage to pull through one way or the other. And any venue without me will have someone else perfectly capable, I’m sure. Time marches on, in other words.

The good news is that Rather Large Bronx will hold in its usual place at the usual time. Kirby has already talked to Kaz about it. We missed them in Orlando at NDCA; I hope they get it back together to rebuild their usual schedule. There’s too many of them to subtract any of them from the event equation.

I think most everyone else will be where and when they belong, and probably I’ll be back for most of them. There may be one or two changes forthcoming, though. Of course, any tournament I don’t do is a break for CP, because it means one less person complaining to him that none of it works the way it’s supposed to (or at least some of it doesn’t work the way it’s supposed to). He’s out in Colorado climbing mountains with JV, while Kaz just got back from climbing the rigging of all the schooners in South Carolina, while all I did all weekend was nap and eat chips and dips.


I need a vacation. A real one, without a tournament at the end of it. And I’ll be getting one soon. Whew!


___

/

No comments: