Tuesday, November 10, 2015

In which we look ahead at this and that

I have fly the dogs of war for Penn. Releasing folks from the waitlists used to be a real chore, as you had to do them individually. Now you can just click ‘em by the dozens and do a whole event in one swell foop. Not bad. One thing I’ll say about tabroom.com, they’re constantly tinkering with it, often for the good. Every time I look at it there’s something new (or something hidden that I’m seeing for the first time, if I want to give CP and co the benefit of the doubt). Mostly these are niceties, and there’s nothing wrong with that. The world needs more niceties. Hell, nicety is my middle name. Sort of.

This is a busy week, for one reason or another. Got some stuff to do around the old chez, plus I’m seriously (or, I guess, more seriously) considering updating my website. If I’m going to roll out a whole new Nostrum, there should be a nice place to put it. The way things are now is pretty confusing, I think, because there are so many options for consumption. I wouldn’t eliminate any of the options, but I think I can organize them better. I have to admit, I am sort of longing to go back into the studio—if my desk in the family room counts as a studio—and record some new episodes. I can already hear the old Nostrum opening music in my mind. Which makes me hope I can find it on my computer. It has been a while… The goal, before getting started, is ten new episodes. That should be critical mass. If I can do 10, I can keep going. The race is on.

And then, this weekend, Scarsdale. Everyone seems to be abuzz about the quality of their food in the judges’ lounge. If memory serves me well, there was an impressive lack of debate ziti. The nice thing about working tab is that you can usually engineer it that you can get your meals while most people are judging. In other words, you get first crack. If there’s only one meatball, that meatball is yours. Plus, you don’t have to wait on line with the hoi and the polloi; let’s face it, debate polloi is the worst kind. If there’s a microwave near the tab room, then you’ve got it made. And there is one in Scarsdale. All we need is a wet bar, but as a general rule, high schools aren’t very generous when it comes to pouring out the liquor. I guess they expect teachers to go home and drink alone. It’s a tough life.



No comments: