Wednesday, September 30, 2015

In which I don't care if it is Wednesday: No Nostrum for you!

Things are really crazy at the DJ. And hellzapoppin’ at the NJ too, so time is not necessarily readily available for bloviating here.

First of all, Monticello still pends. For some reason, people are staying away in droves, including bunches of local schools that need to support one another. I can’t make them do it, but I can grit my teeth and wish evil things on them. Avada Kedavra, sez I. And, oh, while I'm at it, Feh!

Feh!

On the other hand, Somewhat Largish Bronx is barreling along. At its most amusing, I tried some ill-advised changes that somehow landed the Lexwegians with an $18,000 registration fee. Kaz complained about this, which I think is rather ungenerous of her. Next thing you know, she’s going to want another strip of bacon. I set it back the way it was, and we’re looking at other solutions to the problem I was attempting to solve. More on that in the future.

The Bronxwegians wanted to do the presets as random rounds, and we found that setting and turned it on. KC entered the regions and made the assignments. We used to do that at Bronx and a couple of other places, back in the old TRPC days. It’s just as easy in tabroom, once you know where to look. I think it’s a good idea at a national tournament. Intelligent randomization, you might say, with an eye on providing a satisfying response to the comment, “Why did I spend eighteen thousand dollars to debate with the team at the school down the road that I could have walked to fo nothing?”

$18,000 will now and forevermore be the predicted cost of registering for any and all tournaments. Of course, in reality, it’s only true of TOC and NatNats, but it’s still funny. At least I think so.

I’ve been inputting the hired judge names, and plan to assign what I can by Monday. On Tuesday we’re jettisoning the TBA names. Inch by inch, we’re getting closer. I look forward to it, and then I look forward to something simple the week after, the first NYCFL event of the season at Regis. Grandma Julia’s judge lounge? Not a single morsel of debate ziti in site. Mmmmmm......




No comments: