Tuesday, July 07, 2015

In which (the royal) we bemoan the loss of (the royal) us

Things look a bit bleak in Sailorville. No one already on the payroll has come forward to take over the reins (or, as it is commonly misspelled, reigns, which adds a certain Joycean quality that only the best typos can provide). Is there someone out there who wants to run a debate team in Westchester? It’s there for the taking. Seriously.

So many jobs… Bronx is hiring them up the wazoo: I posted a whole raft of them last week on the NDCA site, head coaches for every flavor of forensics, plus a general director. Byram Hills was looking, Edgemont… And those are only the ones I know about for sure. I suspect there may be a couple more in the region. There’s a lot of oil in the local turms, in other words. I would hate to think that my moving on has irrevocably left the Hudders uncoached; it shouldn’t be so dependent on individuals. But it has been ever thus. Some programs are completely institutionalized; these are the ones you tend to see at every national event year after year, that reserve their hotel rooms for TOC in November. They’re good at what they do because their schools are as committed to forensics as they are to science and social studies. Other programs are lucky to have a committed coach, but given the expense of a team, and the usual self-selectivity if not privilege that forensics engenders (most general high school teams are pretty tiny percentages of their school’s population), they are not missed when they go away. The smart kids will find some other way to exercise their brains, and the school will pocket the profits from the loss. Maybe they’ll spend the money on something similarly positive. Maybe not.

I guess I could feel guilty about this to some extent—I didn’t have to retire from coaching—but I don’t. I did a perfectly good job, and left a perfectly operational team behind. If the school really wants to keep that team operational, it will do what it does when a social studies teacher retires, assuming that it really wants to keep social studies operational in the school. I don’t envy the schools in this sort of situation, and I don’t fault Sailorville. My sense is that education is a battered business in general, and usually not a terribly well-financed one. Of all the jobs I’ve witnessed over the years, one of the seeming worse is that of high school principal: you get nothing but flak from everyone on all sides. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Oh, well…


Hey. You’ve read this far. Wouldn’t you like to take on a little night job?

No comments: