Monday, March 23, 2015

In which we think about other things to do


As always, not going to a debate on a weekend takes a bit of getting used to. It’s not as if I don’t appreciate things like sleeping in and enjoying normal pastimes like reading a magazine and taking a walk, but I’m not quite used to it yet. Needless to say, this would be happening even if I were still coaching the Sailors: they’re season is over no matter how you slice it. I’m personally not completely over for the season yet, though; there is still NDCA. Then I’m truly done for a while. I figure about a month before we start drilling down into things like the Pups… Life goes on, and I go on with it.

I’ve been spending my writing time editing the Epistles of St. Jules to the Forensicians. Amazing stuff, in that half the time I have no idea what I’m talking about. Although I’m often accused of this in my general existence, seeing written material that has come from these typing fingers that I can’t make heads nor tails of is revelatory. Apparently I knew a lot more then than I know now and have forgotten it all, although honestly, most of it seems pretty evanescent. It’s interesting to see how much Jules and the Mite didn’t like Hillary, even then. Or Bill, for that matter. 15 years later? Same lack of love lost on my their part. Then again, the material does bring me back. The Nostumate, Unix the Nostrumutt, Mr. Ma ‘N’ Pa, the miracle of the meat-packing plant, the Falutin sisters—glory days, eh?

I have other plans for the off-season. I need to update my website for a formerly coaching perspective, for one thing. And there’s a bunch of planned writings, like my Tournament Director’s Handbook, that remain started but unfinished. Working with the folks at the Bronx talking about next year, a guide to running a tournament in-hand soonest isn’t a terrible thing. They have Big Bronx to contend with, and are coming to it cold, although they’ve already got the tab team committed, with all its attendant expertise. One of the big reasons I packed it in Sailorwise was wanting never to run Bump again, but helping other people run their tournaments? No problem. As long as I’m not the one left holding the bag when it’s over.


No comments: