Tuesday, March 17, 2015

In which we make an important announcement


I am announcing this tonight to my principal and to my team:

I am hereby resigning as the debate coach at Hen Hud. The season this year has effectively ended, and the timing is right. I have made this decision entirely because of new responsibilities in my regular job that make it impossible for me to continue to devote the time and effort necessary to run the team.

I have been the coach now for 20 years. It has been both challenging and rewarding, and I have always appreciated the support the school district has given to speech and debate. I trust that this support will continue for the students in the future, continuing Hen Hud’s proud tradition in the activity.

Good luck with the team in the future.

Despite this change of personal direction, I am far from finished with the activity. I have made way too many friends, and enjoy the process of working tournaments way too much, to give that up. It’s the daily grind of coaching— monitoring students, arranging travel, the general bureaucracy of leagues and school rules and such— plus the headache of the full responsibility for running Bump, that I am resigning from. I do intend to continue volunteering to work behind the scenes at tournaments, and have already made numerous commitments for next season. My only request will be that schools that wish to take advantage of my tabbing and advisory skills provide hotel accommodations for me so that I don’t incur any personal expenses.

In other words, I will continue to show up at tournaments as long as the people running them want me there. I will continue to blog and theorize and whatnot. What I will not continue to do is coach any particular team anymore.

I’m not quite sure what role I will play as we take on a fairly major reorganization in the region. We have already seen a need to reinvent the MHL/NYSDCA, for one thing. And the impact of recent events in the Bronx are far-reaching and need attention (although I hasten to point out that my decision to leave Hen Hud predates those events quite a bit and is in no way related). I will do what I have to do to help out in the reorganization, but when things settle down, it should be other folks providing the future direction and leadership.

So, I will still be around, but in a somewhat modified role. You can’t get rid of me that easily.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo.

pjwexler said...

Be careful not to rest on your laurels in tabroom- or you may feel the 'peas' left behind by those less knowing in tab monkey wrenching the system.