Thursday, July 10, 2014

In which we update on the state of our calendar

So all I said was that we needed to fix up next year’s schedule, and there was a flurry of what I’d pretty much call total unresolved confusion, and the one thing I can categorically claim at this moment is that next year’s schedule is, in a word, unfixed up.

First, there’s the MHL Workshop. The choices are problematic, either too early and competing against Georgetown, which I didn’t even know was a conflict and all of a sudden the northeast is breaking down its doors, or on Yom Kippur, which is a pretty obvious conflict: Georgetown, I don’t know from; God, I have a clue or two. Which leaves a Sunday, Oct 5, as the most likely day. I polled the teeming millions, and got a fairly supportive response for the Sunday date, although mostly the responses ranged from meh to whatever.

And of course there’s the usual question of which comes first, the MHL or CFL in October. We asked EDM, but of course he was sipping champagne and eating bonbons on a high speed train across the Iberian peninsula, and told us he’d get back to us if he ever returned to New York, which if I were him, I wouldn’t even consider.

Then there was the question of whether Newark was definitely changing its date. I buzzed Jonathan and he confirmed it, so now we head off to Jersey the week before Lexington, leaving the week before Scarsdale open. We were going to put a big open UDL into what was the open weekend in January, and everybody loved that, but I’m not sure how they all loved it when I told them not so fast, not so fast, and we switched it. All right, fine. I’m penciling in the UDL the weekend before Scarsdale, and I’ll go whether they have it or not.

Then there’s March. I think what we’ve done is set the CFL Grands for the weekend of the 7th and NYSDCA for the weekend of the 14th, although various heads of debate state have yet to chime in with confirmations. Still, I’ll pencil it in. This leaves the NYS National Society of the Dark Arts district tournament and the NYSFL regional tournament up in the air, but they are small items that can’t really command a weekend of their own, things being what they are.

The moral of this story is, don’t buy any plane tickets for any of the local tournaments in New York that you weren’t going to come to anyhow.

No comments: