Tuesday, June 03, 2014

In which we launch the NDCA blog

I spent some time today putting together the inaugural post for the NDCA blog. http://www.debatecoaches.org/blog-1/ It is about as vanilla as a post can be, but the goal was to set up the blog, try out comments and tags, and generally see how things might work and how they would look. I’ve learned that you can do a lot with SquareSpace, but you do have to dig around a bit to find out how. What I’m not sure of is the comments, which look as if they’re set up to be moderated, but since I’m the moderator, it doesn’t ask to moderate when I make a comment. I’ll test that from a different machine that doesn’t know me when it sees me.

What I didn’t put in was the right-hand column. There you should be able to see past posts and search and find tags. All in the works, but one step at a time. As I said, I’ve got to dig around a bit to find each of them.

One of the value-added parts of CP staying at the Chez last weekend was that he detected interloping on my wifi, which I’ve never bothered to password protect because I figured if someone was stealing my signal, I’d sort of notice them sitting in my driveway. But apparently signal theft is no longer limited to the immediate vicinity if one has the right tools, so if you’re the person who’s been downloading GoT episodes before they’re broadcast, or worse, Rush Limbaugh episodes, your time is up. For the rest of you, the password is—No. Wait a minute. I don’t think that’s how that is supposed to work.

Of course, on the value-subtracted side, when we sat down last night to enjoy a little House of Cards, my Roku turned to me and asked why I had a password all of a sudden, and suggested I go online to figure out how to jump this particular fence. Hadn’t thought about that, but very little hoo-ha was required to settle down and start watching. And come to think of it, for years now people have toodled over to the chez and logged on to the legendary MenickNet wifi, and now they’ll have to know the secret code. Good luck getting it out of me. You can threaten my life with a railroad share, but once I go underground, I stay there.

And you might find it interesting that when the CFL was arranging its next calendar, it didn’t seem to notice that Yom Kippur fell on a particular Saturday. This is the down side of using the calendar in the rectory, guys, the one handed out by the Jesuits. There’s other calendars out there, with all the holidays, not to mention pictures of bathing beauties and firemen and kittehs or whatever else happens to press your particular buttons. Sigh.

No comments: