Tuesday, June 10, 2014

In which another one bites the dust

Sara Sanchez is leaving Lexington for Chicago. I understand she’s doing it to get away from the cold Massachusetts winters. I think perhaps she misread the Glenbrooks job description…

There always seems to be one big change every season. While some programs’ personnel seem to have a barnacle’s ability to hang on no matter what, other programs have new faces practically every year. Lexington, actually, has been one of the busier venues for whatever reason. Given that I trundle up there twice a year, the old fingers are crossed that they’ll acquire another good egg for the spot.

There will probably be other changes among the local dramatis personae, but nothing as big as this one. Of course, in a way I’m used to a rotating cast, given all the colleges I work at. I have to admit there is great joy in seeing repeat faces at any of these, because it’s usually someone who has earned their stripes the previous year who can help guide the present leadership. The idea that colleges put their sophomores in direct charge at their invitationals is a very good one. They may be rookies, but they’ve got a deep bench behind them.

In my scouring of the universe for NDCA tweets, I’ve been inundated with NSDA reminders. Apparently they’re having a shindig of some sort next week. Good old NatNats. I really should go someday, just because. Otherwise it’s like being a cardinal who refuses to visit the Vatican. Then again, I’m more of a defrocked cardinal, or more accurately a self-defrocked cardinal. And I hate to admit it, but I’ll most certainly be refrocking next season. The argument that it’s good for students to have lots of points on their CV for college is a winning one. Add to that the fact that tabroom will be subsumed by the evil empire organization, and I don’t want to be sidelined there. Oh, well. I made my point, back in the day. I wonder if I’m up for another diamond or something?

No comments: