Wednesday, February 26, 2014

In which we reveal some future writing plans

We’re sort of scrambling around for judges for Lakeland, but we can borrow a few from policy, and a couple of people are saying they can find some extras, so we should be all right. It’s VLD that’s the problem; the others are tight, but not too tight. Oh, well. I’m just in the tab room. Kaz and I will do what we have to do.

With all the stuff doing on with ombudsmen and conflicts, et cetera, and all the materials I’ve written or collected about tabbing and tournaments, I really to need to organize this stuff better. After all, when you look at it, I’ve got what is virtually a complete albeit scattered guide to tournament management, almost from top to bottom. It’s all written, it’s just not terribly accessible. And this doesn’t even cover things I’ve written here over the years, although at the moment I have no intention of trying to mine this space for more material. It’s easier to write it from scratch.

The problem is, where to put it. I’ve been sort of eyeing the NYSDCA site. I can get a nicely designed page just for the doing of it. It’s not as if the material wouldn’t be neutral as compared to Menickean, or maybe more to the point, its Menickness is acceptable within its context. And hell, I am paying to host the site (mostly because I’m too lazy to submit a bill to NYSDCA).

What I’m thinking of is a Tournament Management Toolkit. Arrange everything in there in some logical way. How to host. How to tab. Conflicts and strikes. MJP. Guide to Tabroom software. Ombudsman issues. Et cetera. I can always port it out if I decide that's the wrong spot for it. We’ll see. In any case, it’s one of my latest projects. I’m sort of getting into the flow of working on the tabroom guide, while I’ve finished up the MJP guide for NDCA and I’m just waiting to give it one last polish. I haven’t incorporated too much of the discussion with CP here because, in the end, he has convinced me that he likes what he’s doing, and he’s explained why, but he hasn’t changed my mind about handling MJP in general. Besides, best practices are not definitive laws, and people who have different approaches can freely work those into their own tournaments. If a tournament is transparent about what it’s doing, let the marketplace of registrants decide whether or not to embrace it.

On the fictional side, when all this how-to starts getting me cross-eyed, I continue the final ultimate Nostrum editing. I’ve pretty much concluded that I’ll publish it in two volumes. Volume 1 will be all the original episodes. Volume 2 will be the Epistles of St. Jules to the Forencians, the Tennessee Williams High School material, the published Series 2 episodes and the unpublished/unfinished Series 3 episodes. The thing is, Volume 1 is going to clock in at somewhere near 2000 pages! And it is complete in and of itself, insofar as series 2 didn’t really answer many of the unanswered questions from the first series.

So, as the season cools off, the keyboard keys will remain warm and toasty.

No comments: