Tuesday, November 12, 2013

And on Sunday we pick out our Christmas tree!

Insomniacs don’t usually need a cause. They lose sleep for no particular reason, and short of heading off to the opium parlor, there’s not much they can do about it. I’m of the wake-in-the-middle-of-the-night persuasion. I can fall asleep standing up, but I can’t stay asleep. As I say, more often than not, there’s no underlying reason for it. It’s not like the pressures are getting to me. I don’t have that many pressures. But this week I can state categorically that Bump is keeping me up nights. It does every year. And even though at one point last night at around 3:45 a.m. I got distracted from worrying about Bump and started worrying about the Tiggers, my main concern was the one at hand, in my own backyard.

What can go wrong? Don’t ask.

I’ll be checking people in using tabroom online at the school, where there is no wireless (and where we do the check-ins, no Ethernet). My Virgin MiFi hasn’t been working lately, so I need to test it with the iPad Air. If it doesn’t work, I’ll need to get littler fingers to do the check-ins on my phone.

I have no idea where we stand with concessions. My speech coach called me up last night and asked me if I wanted the new Superintendent at the opening ceremony. I have an opening ceremony? The speech coach’s job at Bump is concessions, but she didn’t mention anything about sweets, water or salty snacks. When I’ll see her tonight I’ll remind her; I hope it’s not a surprise.

Meanwhile, what am I going to do when the new Supe shows up? I figure walk him around to see the hum of a tournament, then drop him off into a PF round. The possibility of him stumbling into a content-free LD round at top speed could cost Hen Hud its debate team!

Housing seems okay, but the parent in charge has never done it before and doesn’t seem to use email.

Food will be fine, but the parent in charge seems to be going door-to-door extorting financial support of the judges’ lounge by threatening plagues of locusts.

We probably have enough judges, but I’m paying them more than I’m charging for them.

The schedule, thanks to the late start, precludes India House on Saturday, meaning that the Alumni Dinner will be moving to a new venue. (Actually, that’s okay, since I get Indian food for the tab staff Friday anyhow, and there’s two perfectly good places open at 10:00 on Saturday for reminiscing and catching up.)

We’re using tabroom to tab. Fortunately CP will be there. I want everyone else to press the buttons while he stands beside us slapping our hands with a ruler if we are about to cause irreparable damage.

I mean, what could go wrong?

Don't ask.

1 comment:

CP said...

Should I bring my ruler, or will you supply one?