Friday, June 22, 2012

They're back! LD resolutions part two

Let’s look at the rest of them. I’m not sure how the NFL decides the order in which to list them, but I’m just following them.

Resolved: On balance, the privatization of civil services serves the public interest.


What? I have little or no idea what this one is supposed to be about. Presumably it’s meant to be a thrust at limiting government, but civil services is an awfully broad phrase, and to be honest, I don’t recall anyone lately saying, Gosh darn it, I wish someone would privatize them thar civil services. Although guess the government is cheaper if there’s less of it. Whatever. As a debate topic, this would be all over the map. By the time any agreement about it comes along, it will be over. As for underlying value, anything the government does is civil service, isn’t it? Road building. The FDA. The DMV. You name it. Where’s the core moral/ethic business? Where’s the philosophy? There’s a reason Ron Paul isn’t the designated nominee…

Rating: 0


Resolved: On balance, labor unions in the United States are beneficial.


This is a perfectly fine resolution for Public Forum. For LD, there’s very little real philosophical meat. It’s a question of politics and business and economics, not of morals or ethics. It can certainly be argued, but why? The word “are” at least limits it to present day. I can’t wait to watch them debate this one in Wisconsin.

Rating: 2

Resolved: The United States ought to guarantee universal health care for its citizens.


Again, a fine resolution for PF with absolutely no LD underpinnings. It’s your politics vs my politics, and here I’ll agree with George Washington that parties just don’t work well.

Rating: 2

Resolved: Oppressive government is more desirable than no government.

I can hear the winds of the good old days blowing down the highway. This was a classic in its day, on so many counts. It’s about the old-time social contract stuff that used to be the meat and potatoes of LD, plus since both sides are bad, you have to run the less bad. On top of that, the advocacy is clear: either you’re one side or the other. 20 years ago this was the most beloved topic of all time. It was a serious contender for the northeast Modest Novice topic; we went with civil disobedience mostly because of the two negatives of this one, which seemed a little sophisticated for newbies. If you want to push LD back a generation or two, vote for this one for Jan-Feb. In the best of all possible worlds, this would be the NatNats topic.

Rating: Depends on the months. 8 for Sept-Oct or Nov-Dec, 6 for Jan-Feb (from a $ircuit bias), 10 for Mar-Apr or NatNats.


Resolved: Rehabilitation ought to be valued above retribution in the United States criminal justice system.


Another classic. This question is ever argued and never settled, and it forces one to draw on canonical texts and thinking. Downside is the interpretation on the neg that rehab ought to be valued the same, which is a Mickey Mouse approach if you ask me, but it will be popular nowadays no doubt, because it’s not illegit, just weak. (When did we arrive in a world where the best defense is not an offense but instead a bland demurral from the other guy's offense?) I don’t like this for newbies because it’s a bit off the mainstream of old-fashioned political philosophy, but it wouldn’t hurt them. Again, putting this in Jan-Feb would make $ircuit heads spin like crazy. Still, I like this topic, and have every other time we’ve debated it.

Rating: 7

So, overall, not a bad list, yet again. A couple of stinkers, no doubt one of which will get through, some oldies but goodies, and some nice new ideas. That's pretty good considering the ridiculous method with which NFL comes up with these things. We've talked about it often on TVFT, and no one inventing a system would invent this system. But the folks on the committee, nevertheless, do a great job under the circumstances. Now it's all up to the voters.
.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the health care topic is all about philosophy. What is the proper role of government? What responsibilities do we have as individuals? What responsibilities do we have to our fellow members of society? I am surprised you think otherwise. I love this topic.

I think the privatization topic is extremely important; the most obvious issue is what I consider to be one of the most pressing and certainly the most undercovered government issue today: our post office, and the nonsensical drive to hold it to the standards of a profit-driven corporation. There was a post office-specific PF topic, and it was a crime, in my opinion, that it didn't get picked. I'm not sure it would translate perfectly well into LD but I think it's an important issue. I wish PF would pick it up again.

So I disagree strongly with your views on the health care and secession topics, but I agree with you overall that this is a good list. I think it's the best I've seen. It must be because I wasn't on the committee this year, thanks to the Regents exams! :o)

Nick Bubb said...

The Privatize topic has a good amount of merit. In addition to the Post Office, there have been discussions about privatizing parks management in California and Space Exploration.

The problem is that most of the privatization debates are specific to the particular service or level of government doing the privatization. The debate is vastly different if we are talking about NASA or California or the Post Office.

I some what agree with the second topic - (the "on balance" one). I wish it was less pragmatically framed and more related to the economy or rights. As a resident in America's Dairyland, I agree this topic would be difficult to watch.

Anonymous said...

You can call me Nightmare!

Anonymous said...

nobody cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Brittany NO!!!!