Thursday, July 14, 2011

Coming back

This isn’t going to be easy, but one way or the other I’m going to get back into the debate business.

I like to think that July is an absolute month off, given that I have nothing to do with any camps. There just isn’t all that much happening this time of year if you’re not doing campiness, but it’s not exactly debate-free. First of all, there’s Yale. I got a nice note from the hotel, and by the time I responded maybe three days later, they were already down to thin gruel. You’ve got to move fast these days! Registration opens August 1, and I gather that it will be a rolling process under CP’s management rather than a two-minutes-late-and-you’re-shut-out. One wants an equitable signup system, so I can appreciate this. I'll be sending out my last call to the Sailors shortly, but most of them are signed up.

Even Bigger Bronx is also opening registration on 8/1. O’C is already driving himself crazy, I think, which is always an entertaining prospect. This year he’s adding IEs, apparently because he doesn’t get enough agina from debate events. Or maybe he’ll just call them debate events. He’s always scrupulous about refering to Congress as Congressional Debate. Maybe he’ll do the same with IEs. Humorous Interpretation Debate. Oral Interpretation Debate. Original Oratory Debate. Why not? They have funny names for everything else at that tournament, like sexyeskimos and the like. Might as well do the same for IEs.

Meanwhile, the DJ continues to dominate my existence, but I’m happy to report that the Aged P has settled very nicely into a nearby nursing home and is doing quite well. I think she went in thinking that it was something between Mordor and the Russian gulag, but in actuality, it’s just the providing of the necessary personal care and therapy to bring her back to her old self (no pun intended). It’s good to see her happy and on top of things again. The fact that they only serve spinach once a month seems to have sold her on the place.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see your back!

Anonymous said...

It's actually Legislative Debate at Big Bronx :)

Anonymous said...

*at the New York City Invitational. :o)

Also, Oral Interpretation will be called "Prose & Poetry" at the New York City Invitational.