Friday, April 08, 2011

Regarding a message from Mike Bietz

A few days ago I spoke briefly, albeit reluctantly, about the discussion regarding TOC, because I felt it needed to be addressed but at the same time, I was repelled by it and didn't want to contribute to it. I still am and still don't, but a message my friend Mike Bietz has sent out to the NDCA indicates that despite the fact that the public venues for the discussion have temporarily shut down, there is still venom being spread through other channels.

One can believe whatever one wants about the situation itself, but the nature of the discussion has been detrimental to our activity as a whole. I have often refused to participate in discussions I have found wanting for one reason or another, but I have never suggested that others should not participate in them. But this time I do. I ask you, if you are among those continuing to carry on this conversation, please stop. The issues, such as they are, have been raised. That is what speech, per se, is about. Actions will or will not be taken, and everyone is free to regard those actions or lack thereof as they wish. But we are beyond the point where speech will have any effect short of inflicting even more personal harm. If you number yourself among the people who respect my opinion on things, please respect my opinion on this. Enough is enough.

To those who have already been harmed by this discussion, I extend my concern and my support. I am a member of this community because of the good that it does both educationally and socially. Please do not judge the community or undervalue that good on the basis of the last week or so. We have failed, but we are human. With luck, we will learn from this too.

No comments: