Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A kinder, gentler Menick

According to the TOC, there’s much more of a groundswell in favor of the 8 rounds than against it. The thing is, as the P points out, unless they’re going to handle this some way we don’t know about, they’ve added a double-octos round. I used to be a little ambivalent about the run-off when it only affected a couple of kids. At least, I said, those who didn’t win the run-off ought to be grandfathered in to the next year’s tournament. That doesn’t make sense when you’ve got an army, though. Trophies? Probably not. We’ll see how it plays out.

I’ll futz around a bit tonight with CP’s suggestion of adding one more round each to everyone to single-flight the Pfffters. I’m not quite sure why singles are more highly acclaimed in a doubles-sked environment. Whatever. As a general rule I believe whatever CP says, and I do whatever he tells me to do. This does not always work out for the best, but it seems to make him happy, and my goal in life is making everyone happy, isn’t it?

No, wait. That’s not me. I’ve got to get a grip on myself. Jeesh!

I can’t remember the last time I flew to a tournament. Come to think of it, I can’t remember what I had for lunch, either, but my point is that lately I’ve been a stay-at-home type. That has been deliberate, because I have just so much time away from the DJ for gallivanting, plus I like to work local tournaments whenever possible because I feel a commitment to the more homey turf and to the younger Sailors less likely to pack themselves off via air transport. But I would imagine that I would always go to TOC if I had a qualifier. Ambivalent though I may be to the concerns of the $ircuit, one has to appreciate that this is a unique event, and I enjoy being a part of it. Last time I was there I mostly hung around schmoozing, but there’s worse things. This time I’ll be hanging around schmoozing and also tabbing, so that’s an improvement. I just hope that there’s a decent restaurant near my hotel, which is not the tournament hotel (and also half the price thereof). Not much point to a tournament hotel that isn’t within walking distance of the events, if you have to pay a premium for it. I mean, we can drive there in five minutes if we have to. Speaking of restaurants, I’m trusting that JV and CP have that mostly under control. I mean, I’ll have the Panivore with me. She gets cranky if her cervelles aux beurre noir isn’t exactly perfect.

No comments: