Wednesday, January 05, 2011

And since we've nowhere to go?

This is the time of year when you spend most of your time worrying about the weather. One little hint of flakes and you can lose your buses just like that! Worse, you can get snowed in at some godforsaken site for who knows how long, at great fiscal and mental expense. Not to mention the very real dangers of driving one’s own car through the frozen muck and mire. So at the moment I’m fretting over the immediate weekend, then every subsequent weekend on which I have motel rooms (usually non-refundable). Last year I got stymied at least twice that I can recall. I’d hate to see it happen again.

This was why I jumped on the chance to move Bump to the earlier date. Too bad there aren’t enough earlier dates for everyone. Or we don’t all live in Boca Raton.

Last night’s Sailor meeting was rather sparsely attended, for reasons unknown. We talked about general strategies, mostly, and avoiding the temptation to concoct the weirdest scenario possible for your case and making that the cornerstone. With juveniles au jus, there is so much normal debatable material, digging under the stones isn’t really necessary. But that doesn’t stop the digging. I blame “Law and Order.” Everybody thinks they’re a lawyer nowadays. No one stops to realize that the normal business of jurisprudence never makes it into the dramas because it's, well, not dramatic. Look at sitcom families. In sitcoms everybody always does stuff and things happen and everybody is funny. Now look at real families. Everybody always watches TV. See the difference? Anyhow, I think we did our best to stem the tide on this one.

Other than that, I’m still up to my eyeballs in everything non-forensical. Maybe in a day or two…

No comments: