Thursday, August 20, 2009

MHL is now MHL, topics, justice, Pups, orgs

I sent out an update on MHL today, although most of it was old news, aside from the fact that the MHLW will include modules for varsity team leaders. We have transitioned from the old name (MHL) to the new name (MHL). Anyone who has trouble with the change can use the mnemonic device More Hungry Latvians (MHL!). That’s how I remember it.

We talked a bit about topic choices Tuesday night at the Elder Hostel Chez, a natural since JV is on the selection committee. Which reminded me I’ve got to get my list put together. I was just looking it over again. How much you want to bet that if the nuke topic is selected, some yabbo critiques states as entities like Rhode Island? Can you imagine if Alaska had had WMDs during the tenure of the previous governor? Mama mia! We wouldn’t even have had death panels to help her choose who to nuke!

I played with my new thoughts on Justice against my old material on Justice last night, and decided that the new was better than the old but that the old did contain some good information left out of the new. Which got me going into the cur for the first time this season. Sure enough, last year I had kicked off with morality because of the fat-trolleyman topic. It worked okay, but I do sort of prefer a political theory kickoff over good old right and wrong. Anyhow, the cur is now pulled out of the dusty pile of old stuff and back into the get-on-it-bubbo pile of new stuff, which makes the season seem all that much closer. And, of course, it is.

Yale opened yesterday. As of my last look, the Pups had almost gotten VLD totally filled up. There’s a new look to tabroom.com, and it only took a minute to get used to it, and most of it works fine. The Sailors are totally organized, sort of, for the event. 10 ABs altogether, 4 LD and 6 Speecho-Americans, 3 judges, 6 hotel rooms. Kaz said that there’s going to be space for early-arriving Policians to hang out on Friday (they don’t start debating till Saturday) which solves a problem I had of a couple of S-As to dump somewhere without sending them off unchaperoned into the wilds of New Haven. One less thing to worry about.

Meanwhile I’ve got to find some time to drop in on lddebate.org, which O’C has unaccountably breathed new life into. I’ve never been a fan of bbds but I do recall following the org’s threads back in the day. The day is apparently here again. O’C even made me a moderator. I should go find out what it is I’m moderating…

No comments: