Monday, August 31, 2009

Killer moths (shades of Mieville), killer PSATs, killer tweets, killer dummies

This is the last day of August. Once again we wonder how we managed to squander an entire summer without feeling as if summer ever happened. In the northeast, this was possibly the worst weather ever, with a couple of nice days but mostly rain whenever you needed sun, and cold whenever you need warm, and generally bleeech whenever you needed aahhhhh. So it goes. If past were meteorological prelude, the coming winter would look like something out of some story with a lot of winter in it (I can’t think of one offhand, so you’ll have to be a little supportive here of my failing memory), except, as far as weather is concerned, there are no reliable signs of weather to come. Past is not meteorological prelude. That is, if the wildebeests or carnivorous caterpillars or whatever have mangier coats this summer, that does not indicate above average snowfall in the coming winter. The coats of wildebeests or carnivorous caterpillars or whatever can only reflect last year’s snowfall. Trust me on this. I’m a weather lore expert. (For example, “Cat sleeps on its brain, sure sign of rain.” I got a million of ‘em.)

The Sailors of the Junior persuasion seem to have suddenly suffered PSAT shock, as in, “The test is Big Jake weekend, wait a minute, how does that affect me?” Given that 3/4s of my entry is of that junior persuasion, this could be a real slimming down. They are all at sixes and sevens, and I’m no help because, not being a school sort, I have no idea what the options are, if any. I’ve suggested they actually ask someone who knows something about the subject, a radical idea if there ever was one, but then again, I’m full of radical ideas. I trust they’ll sort this out over the next couple of days. Same group is debating Sept-Oct elsewhere, however, regardless. We’re putting together a nice entry for Monticello, for example, and I’ve already got a couple of hotel rooms at the notorious oh-no-two-nights-minimum-oh-wait-we’ll-call-you-back motel that is the only one in the city that doesn’t offer on-site shootings. And of course there’s also the Pups, although I must point out that my Speecho-American entry for which is about as solid as [damn, I need another metaphor; it’s been one of those days, obviously]. Don’t ask.

I just did a little test of @tabroom for the Pups, by the way, as in, I do a direct message from my cell when I don’t have wireless. Worked fine. I will alert the troops shortly of the tweeting of the event. I notice the WTF is reviving their Twitter account to tweet, well, every event. I await the results of this with trepidation, since my interest in tournaments I am not attending ranks about as high as [no, no, not again!!! I’m going to need to remove the word “as” from my writing vocabulary].

The MHLW is slowly getting some decent numbers. I’ll send out a couple more reminders this week and next, to get things working. O’C will help me assign instructors today or tomorrow, and we’ll be set there. If you’re coming and you haven’t signed up yet, please do, even if it’s only dummy names, so we’ll have some ideas of numbers. Just don’t tell your debaters that you think they’re dummies.

No comments: