Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Albany city is closer and prettier than ever! Oy.

The powers that be at the NYSFL are apparently shocked, shocked, to hear that there is gambling going on in Casablanca. (After dinner last night with HoraceMan, TSWAS, I’m tempted to write up this entire entry in movie quotes. There are worse things in life.) Apparently they are also the ones who came to Casablanca for the waters. In other words, they were misinformed.

Be that as it may, that will have to play out on its own terms. Meanwhile, it turns out that there are AirPorts and there are AirPorts. The ones that don’t support network drives are the ones I have. They will network a printer, but that’s it. This is not that horrible a catastrophe; I was only thinking of networking the 1T after I had purchased it when it occurred to me that it might be a possibility. Well, it isn’t, but it doesn’t matter. I’m still cleaning up iTunes, but now I’m cleaning it up on the new drive. Everything’s been ported over. As I explained to Bietz, who’s been doing roughly the same thing, if you have good music on one drive and questionable music on another drive, turning off the questionable drive and then attaching an iPod puts a check mark against all the music that isn’t on the good drive. It’s still tedium to clean them up (you’ve got to reattach the bad drive, check info for the folder location, which is usually heavily nested, then port the files over to the new drive), but it does do the job. What else to we have to do with our boring little lives? And, oh yeah, apparently there is a limit to the number of Firewire drives you can daisy-chain. You only learn this when you get to number three, which is, admittedly, a lot. There may be some other reason why the daisychaining didn’t work (order of connection?) but it, again, doesn’t matter much. The new drive came with every possible cable, including trans-Atlantic. Don’t like the first one? Try another. It’s all bits and bytes sooner or later.

I’ve been playing around with concepts for coachean communication, not terrifically different from what already exists at NDCA, but different enough. What I need to do, now that I’ve conceptualized a good portion of it, is explain it. Easier said than done. Of course, CP is spot on (I hate saying that) that the real issue is the people, not the place. If you build it, they won’t necessarily come, in other words. (There. Another film reference.) That’s where the real work will be. I’ll keep you posted.

In other news, I’ve told the Sailors to pack extra grub for Saturday, this advice coming from long experience of Saturdays past at various CatNat venues. There isn’t hide nor hair of any food services on the Google maps of the PF venue. I may drive rather than taking the bus, though. I haven’t figured that out yet. Nothing worse than waiting around forever for buses on Saturday evening when your stomach is growling and howling…

For Twitter fans, by the way, the CatNats hashtag is #ncfl. As I’ve said, I’ll be microblogging (if anything of note arises, or maybe even if not) as @jimmenick. I know other folks have fired up their cells and whatnot as well. Of course, as O’C points out, it’s hard to make news out of “HC1873674 is hitting DR398726.6.” Thank God CatNats preserves anonymity. If I knew who anyone was, I’d always pick them up. That is human nature, isn’t it? I always pick up the people I know. If I know both sides, I pick them both up. That’s just the way I am. Human in the extreme, in other words. Anyhow, this is it, the last event of the year for me. Time to gear up for 2009-10!

No comments: