Thursday, October 09, 2008

Don’t bother, they’re here.

I won’t bore you with the details, but suffice it to say that a goodly proportion of the Sailors are unable to successfully send me an email message. Is this because I sneakily change my address from day to day? Or because my address is really hard to remember (because, well, it’s my name)? Or simply, as I always maintain, because youth is no magic antidote to technological ignorance? Whatever. I thought that this morning I’d be canceling a room or two at the motel at Monti, but it turns out that I am not. I am going with my original contingent. I could go on about reasons why one Sailor or another ought to be sent to the brig, but I won’t. The tip of the iceberg will have to satisfy your longing for behind-the-scenes dirt. Go find Tina Brown if you want celebrity gossip.

This activity would be so much easier if it didn’t have kids in it. But then again, there are some coaches, judges and even parents whose absence is a precious gift too rarely dispensed. What I should do is just skim off the small coterie of problem-free, likeable yabbos from the activity and host a poker game slash dinner slash scrabble tournament. All the good chewy parts and none of the black crunchy bits. I can dream, can’t I?

Last night I ported the Kaiser Roll over from the Goy to TRPC (which, you may have noticed, is no longer referred to here as Evil TRPC because, well, it’s as stable as [insert metaphor here for some really stable thing that I can’t think of at the moment]). I did have to enter the rooms by hand, but there are worse things in life. It’s going to be quite a clambake. Lots of debaters, lots of judges. The Montwegians came up with what I think is a brilliant idea, which is to have the first flight of round 4 on Friday and the second flight on Saturday morning, in an effort to speed things up on day two given the need for 6 rounds. Think of it. Not only does this get a flight done in advance, but on arrival Saturday morning everyone knows exactly where to go. Plus there’s no late-night inputting of ballots on Friday, so your hard-working tab staff can hit the road with everyone else. The only conceivable down side is that some people will know for 12 hours who their morning’s opponent is, which could be construed as TMI, but those same people would already have known in the normal course of events for an hour, plenty of time to prep out if that’s what they were intending to do. And it’s the same advantage/disadvantage to both sides, that is, if you perceive it as an advantage/disadvantage in the first place. Anyhow, I’ll do whatever I can to make this happen. Who says there’s nothing new under the debate sun?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you just take a pair of scissors and cut the schems in half before copying them, not releasing flight B until the following morning?

Anonymous said...

Alex has got a very good point.