Monday, January 22, 2007

I own a Bears tee shirt for no readily discernible reason, hence I am ready for the Super Bowl. Meanwhile:

There is, unfortunately, a word spectate. You may say, with impunity—as recently did one of the Sailors—that you wish to spectate a practice round, or at least you can say it with whatever impunity is derived from Web 11, considered by many to be a reliable authority.

I have just thrown my copy of Web 11 out of the window.

Meanwhile, in the continuing annals of Kant, we can add to what we’ve already said that one a priori piece of knowledge that we are capable of intuiting is the concept of space. That is, using nothing but our reasoning, we are able to establish that there is a place that is the mind, where all that reasoning is taking place, and a place that is not the mind, that is outside of the mind. That place outside of the mind is space. This is not space in the Star Trek final-frontier sense, although the magnitude if not exactly the (physically questionable) infinity of that space is included in the concept, but simply the space outside ourselves. Which does just happen to be (physically questionably) infinite. Which is something additional, a synthesis that, using only reason, we are able to grok about space (although Manny never uses the word grok in the Critique of Pure Reason, as far as I can determine; nor does he use spectate, thank goodness). Of course, as we intuit a place outside the mind a priori, we also obviously intuit the mind, a priori. (Manny uses the phrase a priori the way some of the Sailors use the word like, although probably not for the same reasons.) As bedtime reading goes, Kant is the cat’s whiskers. More or less.

This past weekend was one of odds and ends. Prepping some new material for this week’s meeting at the school, running through all the old emails and catching up, backing up to disks, that sort of thing. I’m in the process of sorting through whom we’ll send to CFL Grands, organizing the trips to Newark and Scarsdale, haranguing the Sailors about parent judging, all the usual fandango. And I’m going to have to start thinking seriously about Districts soon, both in corralling the Districtees and in putting together our own Huddish entry. Saturday I went over to put in the trophy order, so the wheels are now officially turning. There was a small moment last year during the Red Light brouhaha when I was considering retiring from district responsibilities, but I was talked out of it. Biggest mistake of 2006!

And, finally, I will mention that last night I watched Empire Records, which I had never heard of until it popped up on Netflix. It’s something of a poor man’s High Fidelity but I do have to admit that it eventually won me over. Considering that practically every movie I’ve watched for the last month has been a total turkey, it was nice to have something to relieve the grimness. Of course, the night before watching this I had watched Follow the Fleet, so you know I’ve been doing my best to find real entertainment in this turkey drought. Let’s face the music and dance, eh? Comparing the two films, one could say that musicals have changed in 60 years, maybe a little. Judge for yourself.

No comments: