Saturday, June 03, 2006

Uncharacteristic Saturday posting

But, it's still raining, and I've got a little time on my hands before I run out to the supermarket.

Stand By Me? From Chutney's comment yesterday? If anyone recalls this film well, they will remember that it is framed as a story being typed on a computer. At the end of the movie, the writer, having completed the story, turns off the computer, without saving the story.. Having sat through two hours of this lousy film myself, I had to agree with our writer that, if I were him, I wouldn't have saved it either. And on top of this Bubba Chut tells me that my only competition on the internet is Wil Wheaton's website.

Any wonder why I'm posting on a Saturday?

Anyhow, the writer in question was plaed by Richard Dreyfuss. If he was on your DI team, you'd kick him off for being a ham every time he opens his mouth. He's like Jane Fonda without Vietnam or Barbarella. As for the movie, I realize I'm in a minority here, but then again, quality, like morality, is not measured by how many people do it. And if you really care, from IMDB: Incorrectly regarded as goofs: The narrator does not save his work before appearing to shut off his word processor, but that's okay, because in fact he only switches off the monitor, leaving the machine running and his work intact. Also, the shot of the narrator writing has him seated at his desk; when he turns off the word processor, he is standing, studying his work. It is reasonable to presume that a brief moment went by between the shots, and he could easily have saved the work then. Balderdash! This was the only point in the film where the buddy I went with and I cheered. Don't tell me I didn't see what I saw. I once stood in a urinal next to Stephen King. I know what I'm talking about.

Of course, I'm also progressively more annoyed with Fast Freddy, as I'm learning that he's not really talking about science but about a dry sort of "objective" skepticism that refuses to assert the will, as compared to the wonderful sort of German skepticism (going back to Prussia's Great Freddy and his dad) that is all about grabbing the old will to power by the short and curlies and taking over Europe! No wonder this stuff is, shall we say, a little inflammatory. You don't have to be a genius to see how easily one can pull a rationale for ethnic superiority from this stuff. The more I read of FF, the bigger a crackpot (and the more dangerous) he becomes. What a great guy to turn to for ethical guidance!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This never warranted a commnet?

http://www.thevi.be/2006/05/30/for-jim-menick/