Friday, June 17, 2005

Bloomsday

.
I heard last night from the Nostrumite, who is in a state of permanent depression over the end of the school year up at TWHS. "My first season in the place and I haven't accomplished anything," he told me. Nobody at TOCs, nobody at CatNats, nobody at LapsedCatNats. It's not easy working with a new team, he says. "I'm still married, though, so I guess that's something. And we did spend Bloomsday yesterday reading aloud, as all good Joyceans must. 'Stately plump Buck Mulligan... ' "

Ah, Bloomsday. June 16th. The novel Ulysses takes place entirely on that day, and many people celebrate the occasion by hitting up the old tome again. In some places, they actually have public readings of the entire thing. I'm glad that the Mite is keeping his hand in literary affairs, despite his self-described poor showing in forensics. "If I could write like Joyce," he says, "I'd be an Irishman now." Which is probably true. Of course, if he wrote like Joyce most of us wouldn't be able to make any sense of TWHS, which he has just updated. "My plan is to throw up a new episode every Thursday or Friday," he says, "give or take the odd Thursday or Friday, and factoring into it Odelie's plans, whatever they may be, and traveling with the team and everything. But this coming summer should be okay. Having just gotten back from a honeymoon, it's not like we're going anywhere else for a while."

Too bad he couldn't be at LapsedCatNats, though. It was bad enough he missed meeting O'Cruz in Milwaukee, but to also miss him in Philadelphia? Jeesh. We could even have gotten a picture of the two of them with Soddy. Maybe that would clear all of us of the charge of actually being one another.

No comments: