Thursday, August 18, 2016

In which we evaluate a few things

I am now lined up for all the usual college suspects, with the exception of Yale, which I will no longer be working. Mostly they will be the same old same olds, with the exception of the Ben Franklin folk, who are going a week earlier. I’ve talked about this before. Everything about it is counterintuitive, and counter to the original plan when it moved to Presidents’ Weekend, but their reasons for trying the different weekend were strong. It is theirs to do. I have a feeling that it will all work out fine, but the event will prove itself, or not, when it arrives. The basic hunger for rounds, at least where there’s bids attached, seems unabated, which should do a lot to remove the question mark from the new date. As far as I’m concerned, it’s much of a muchness, but there is no question that not having a team, while it doesn’t necessarily render me opinion-free, does render me relatively opinion-worthless. For instance, Kirby had some questions about the divisions at Rather Large Bronx, and he asked for thoughts from both me and Kaz. She has a whole herd of horses in the race, and I don’t. So we definitely look at things differently. Then again, even when I did have horses, it was a mere handful, which is a lot different from a raging herd. I went for years without having to decide who would get which slots, and I was happy not to have to make that sort of decision. She has to make it all the time.

All things being equal, I’m expecting to call on McGonagall and the Paginator as the latest cogs in the great wheel of tabbing. Kaz will be where she can be, which is mostly where I’ll be. I would love to work a show with CP again, since we haven’t shared the honors since, I think, Bronx in ’14, AKA the “Luck Be a Lady Tonight” Karaoke Bonanza. I’ll call on Catholic Charlie when I can; he doth protest that he’s innocent of knowledge of debate tabbing, which he then proceeds to do in his sleep. (In reality, I’m the only person who usually falls asleep in the tab room. Give me five minutes of catnap and I’m ready for anything. So why can’t I sleep in the middle of the night in a bed?)

My standing offer to bring new people into the tab room is still out there. I’ve heard people complain that tab rooms are closed black boxes and I’ve invited those people in directly to watch and learn and help, and they’ve ignored me, I guess because it’s more satisfying to carp than to do what is mostly a thankless job of blindly juggling arithmetic and trying to find you-know-who who hasn’t checked in 15 minutes after smart time. Most of tabbing is enforcement. It has ever been thus, that enforcement was required, but once e-ballots started removing the truly mind-numbing business of entering ballots, the enforcement has started to show more clearly. Anyhow, we will always need new people to direct tournaments and to understand the tabbing process. Yes, tabroom does a lot, but there’s a limit to automatic. You need to know why you’re doing what you’re doing, plus you need to move vast numbers of children (the forensicians) and lunatics (half of the judges) and serial killers (the other half of the judges) from one place to another in a timely manner such that everyone is happy and no one comes into tab threatening your life with a railway share. I've written my big old toolkit to help people out with this. But getting in there and doing it, preferably under the guidance of someone experienced, is the best way to learn the ropes.

Any takers?

///

-

No comments: