Tuesday, April 19, 2016

In which one of our usual gigs bites the dust

I am now writing a presentation for the DJ, in addition to the one for NDCA. The important thing is not to confuse the two. I don’t think my colleagues at the DJ are the slightest bit interested in whether it’s MJP or MPJ, shocking as that may sound.

I guess I can now report that I won’t be working at Yale this year. As the VCA knows, my work for the big tournaments begins with straightening out their tabroom setup, and then running the waitlists while handling queries from disgruntlesphere. This begins about two months before a tournament starts, and it’s a daily business. Then, of course, there’s running the events. All of us in tab know a couple of things, that our days are longer than anyone else’s at the tournament, and that a lot of times it’s no big deal and other times it draws on the oddest combination possible of insight, drudgery and experience that few people seem to possess. Most people, i.e., coaches, would rather pluck their eyeballs out with a runcible spoon than work a tab room (although I have noticed that some of these same coaches blame the lure of tabbing for depleting the back of the room of adult judges, yet if this were true I’d be up to my plucked eyeballs in people wanting to tab, and trust me, it isn’t so). For me, it is one of my highest priorities that when I finally retire from tabbing (if ever), I leave behind good people in my stead. Somebody's got to run these damned things.

Anyhow, humble as I am (and yes, I ooze humility from every pore), I don’t ask for much in return for my services. I mean, hell, I actually enjoy doing it. And mostly I do it pretty well, if you’ll allow for the occasional bollix. I can do it by hand, on TRPC, on tabroom, big field or small field. Any high school that wants me to tab them, all I ask is that they get me a hotel room, if it’s not near enough to the chez to commute. Dangle the odd Best Western in front of me and I’m yours.

Colleges are different, though. For one thing, they may be running a high school tournament but the money they make doesn’t go to the high school community, with the exception of Penn. And the colleges I work make boatloads of money, make no mistake about that. Still, I do not ask them to pay me for the simple reason that they couldn’t afford me. I value my services too highly to even consider selling them. On the other hand, I expect a measure of hospitality in proportion to the value the tournament itself puts on my services. In addition to paying my hotel bill, that translates as footing the bill for a dinner or two with the other tab staff. We’ve been on-site since 7 a.m., and by 10 p.m. we’re looking to relax (before getting back on-site tomorrow at 7 a.m. again).

I do not ask for nor expect this from high school tournaments. Their profits, if any, should go to sending their students to other tournaments. But colleges grossing in the 6 figures? Well, it may be greedy of me, and a demonstration of my humility refusing to ooze all of a sudden, but that’s just the way it is. I make this clear to them, and they can take it or leave it. Yale has decided to leave it.


Well, I would have had to move on anyhow, sooner or later. I hold no animus against them; it’s their tournament and they can do what they want with it, and I’m sure they’ll find a perfectly good replacement for me. I’ve always enjoyed it, but I’ve already come to realize that this will now free up September on my personal calendar, the single best month of the year for vacations since everyone else is back in school and the weather everywhere in the northern hemisphere is at its peak. So, adios, young Pups. Have a nice tournament.

____

/

No comments: