Thursday, December 14, 2017

In which we merely touch base

Sometimes something will bother me in a book I’m working on for the DJ. Like the apparently anachronistic use of the phrase “Prince Charming.” I only gave it the Wikipedia treatment (once the kiss of death, but now pretty much okay for government work) to learn that, while princes and kings might have been charming for centuries, the first specific use of the term seems to be in Dorian Gray in 1890. Good ol’ Oscar. Hence I was right. In 1885 no one would refer to Prince Charming. Jeeves, bring me my red pencil!


Meanwhile, the Regis Kristmas Klassik is now klosed. It’s on the rather large side, but at least they’re not debating in the cafeteria, AKA the first circle minus point five. As for Columbia, I’m just eyeing it from the side, making sure it doesn’t make any funny noises. And tomorrow I’ll kill the TBAs for Penn. Or more to the point, maim them slightly, as the Delete TBAs button, surprisingly, does not delete TBAs. Or at least, not all of them. TBAs on the waitlist go away, while TBAs on your accepted list apparently become drops that you have to pay for. I’ll watch this closely tomorrow and see if that’s really true. I mean, it is early to shut things down, and most folks will just put in phony names, but by my lights, expending the energy to enter real albeit not necessarily correct names indicates a true desire to attend, as compared to some eager sophomore entering surreptitiously and sucking up endless slots because, just maybe, their school might come, if they can find a parent to pretend to chaperone. Other than that, Kaz has officially announced that LD is in the high school, which means I can walk to the ice cream shop for Bigle X. I’m meeting with Kathy tomorrow to set up Baby Bump. The Paginator and I have a reservation at my favorite Brazilian restaurant Saturday after the Klassik. And I think that’s about it for the immediate future.


///

No comments: