Tuesday, December 20, 2016

In which we look at other upcoming events

There are some tournaments coming up. The problem with a couple of them is that they don’t have rooms yet, which means that it’s a crapshoot accepting entries. You don’t want to overdo it, and you don’t want to underdo it. It’s a pain in the neck.

We go through this every year with the Gem of Harlem. We’ve cleared the waitlists as much as we can, but until we know for sure where we are, we’re probably underbooked. That’s no big deal for local schools, but for those who have to travel, waiting is problematic. I’ll take one last look before the holiday, but I can’t really move much without confirmation. Sigh.

On the Penn front, at least there’s a little more time. But there’s a lot more entries (and I have no idea why). Again I’ve tried to accommodate the travelers, but one can only do so much in that direction. I’ve posted a deadline to remove TBAs (and, come to think of it, should do the same with the Gem). That’ll help. I know that with both schools, the lack of room confirmations is not from lack of trying on their part. The administrations simply don’t understand the complexity of the operation, and probably never will. I’m okay making room assumptions with Columbia because we’ve been there and done that, but with Penn on the new weekend, who knows?

Sigh.


On an easier front, I sent out a confirmation to folks that Bump will be the same as last year, a simple one-dayer. And I look forward to Bigle X because all I have to do there is show up and start tabbing. I’m still not sure if we’ll be in the middle school or the high school. I prefer the latter because of walking access to downtown, even though walking around in Lexington in January isn’t exactly a jaunt in the park. But there is that good ice cream place, and is there any joy so great as carrying an ice cream cone half a mile and not having it even think of melting?

///

No comments: