Monday, September 12, 2016

In which our season takes off

And so we begin. This weekend was Byram Hills, and I have to admit, it was fun moving all the pieces again. It’s been a while.

The tournament began with a little round robin. And here’s the thing about rounds robin that a lot of people don’t seem to understand. If every person brings a judge, it’s not enough judges. You’ve got to have a spare or two (or more) on hand to make things work. Originally, all they had were one for one, and no matter what I did I couldn’t make that happen. Fortunately, Zach F who was running things had an extra on the line that he was able to reel in quickly, and everything worked out. I remember this happening last year when Benko was forced to jump in and judge rounds. I’ve never seen a tournament of any sort with too many judges, and doubt that I ever will.

I have to admit that tabbing from home is sort of cool. Not that there was that much to do in the RR once things were set up originally, aside from putting together the final round. But still, my little phone would buzz whenever rounds started or finished, as I puttered around the house doing the things I do when I’m in puttering mode. It wasn’t till after lunch that I moseyed across the county to Armonk, where BH is. I have no idea why they don’t call it Armonk Hills, since Bryam is nowhere near there. Nor, for that matter, are there any hills. What can I say? You could look it up; I’m not that interested.

With the exception of one year, I’ve been at BH from the start, back when they were running in the depths of winter. I was a little hesitant about the move to early birding in September, but it’s worked out fine. But only for varsity. We tried to fill Academy divisions, but we just didn’t get any takers. I think the thing might be that the tournament, while having a few heavy hitters at the top thanks to the RR, is already perceived as being accessible for younger students. Which it is. Academy has proven redundant. As compared to Monticello next month, where the Academy divisions fill and the varsity divisions go wanting. Anyhow, we weren’t exactly bursting at the seams, but the numbers were quite good enough that we weren’t killing ourselves with pullups, which is the bane of the smallish tournament. People were debating the people they should have been debating in their brackets, which is why there is bracketing in the first place.

The tournament was not without its issues. There was a health emergency, which reinforced everything we say about chaperones and competent adults on hand. We were lucky that we had more competent adults than we knew what to do with. For the first time in anyone’s memory, there were plenty of administrators on hand for a tournament. Usually the administration is out the door on the Friday of a tournament before the buses even leave, unless there’s some poor schmegeggie principal or assistant principal who feels compelled to welcome the teaming hordes, which never have any interest in being welcomed. The movement away from opening, closing or middling assemblies has been steady over the years. When I first started, they were inescapable. Nowadays, they're rare as can be. I have mixed feelings about that, but that’s a subject for another post.

In tab there were me and Kaz and the Paginator, although the latter was brevetted there by us only because we needed someone to have someone around to complain all weekend. Actually, all he ever complains about is me, and his complaint is that I am always complaining about things, but that is beside the point. Tabbers are hard to find, and one doesn’t let one leave one’s grasp, especially if you can throw him into the odd round when you want to pull off a single flight on a Friday night. Or if he starts complaining too much.


There’s a couple of technical things I’ll talk about next time. There’s always a new wrinkle or two at every tournament, maybe something new about tabroom or just process in general, and I want to start capturing those things more effectively than just complaining about discussing them here.

///


No comments: