Wednesday, August 03, 2016

In which, among other things, the Bronx is up

Fairly Large Bronx is looking for judges and asked that I distribute their form: http://www.jimmenick.com/images/bbronxjudge.pdf  Consider it done.

My season doesn’t kick off until 9/9 at Byram Hills, which seems about a million years from now, but obviously isn’t. They’ve got about a hundred registrants so far, without yet having heard from all the usual suspects. Not bad at all.

Meanwhile, it’s amazing how long it takes to populate a new iPad with the apps from an old one. My first attempt bombed completely, and everything was “waiting” but nothing was “happening.” So I just stripped it and started again, and watched during the day at the DJ as app after app ponderously went from blacked-out to live. I have no idea why it didn't work the first time, but the ever useful turn it off and turn it back on again solution worked fine. Sometimes electronic items get sticks up their butts and you have to pull more than once to get them out. Whatever.

Kaz was down over the weekend, and we talked a bit about the PF rez I don’t like. She didn’t really convince me that it was any better than I thought it was, but it did become clear that none of my objections were cast in PF terms. True. I mean, it’s not as if I don’t agree that a school has some authority over bullying of its students (or faculty, for that matter) when the bully actually isn’t in the school, but the legality of that authority limits it greatly, for obvious reasons. Those reasons for the legality, and not the legality itself, frame my objections. To wit, if you’re a high school student, what you do on your own time is pretty much not the high school’s business unless it impacts on the high school. So, we immediately set two limits that, quite honestly, seem hard to disagree with. First, render unto high schools that which is high schools, and second, render unto somewhere else that which isn’t. I mean, that’s in the Bible, isn’t it? Oh, well. I’m not playing the game, so I shouldn’t really get all worked up over the playing field design. But old habits die hard. When I see a topic that doesn't seem to lend itself to good debate, I just can't stand by with my mouth shut. What kind of ex-coach would I be if that were the case?


Another thing we talked about is e-ballots. We really want to expand this universe this year. The problem is management. I’ve said this before. When you’re all in the same building or two, a judge who hasn’t pressed start is no big deal. You can either go into the room and threaten said judge’s life with a railway share, or find a replacement easily enough because there weren’t all that many places to go other than those buildings or two. But when I have an event spread over 10 buildings? And the rooms need to turn around on the proverbial dime for the next event? Not so easy. Still, we’ve got to do it eventually. We’re off the schneid everywhere it’s easy. Now it’s time to hit the hard ones.


//


No comments: