Monday, January 04, 2016

In which we crawl back into the sunlight

I used my time off productively. That had been my plan, but not my expectation, the latter being informed by experience. Usually I hope to get all sorts of things done when there’s an empty week available to do it, and at the end I realize that all I’ve done is read magazines and cooked a lot of dinners. Not that I didn’t do those things as well over the Christmas break, but I also, finally, dug into Nostrum. And yes, Volume 2 is now available on Amazon. The link is right over there on the right -->

What does the consumer get for the substantial investment of $.99? [I’d give it away but I can’t figure out how, and $.99 is the lowest one can go.] Well, first, there’s the collected Epistles of St Jules to the Forensicians. These are the letters that used to announce the arrival of each weekly episode of Series 1. Mostly Jules would update ld-l members on the latest curmudgeonish pronouncement of his partner, the Nostrumite; in return, most ld-l members would respond that this inane spam was making them rethink their participation in the debate community. And, of course, one or two of them went over and read the latest episode. It was a joyous time.

The core of the book is Nostrum Series 2. Of course, you can easily get this (or any Nostrum stuff, pretty much) online already, with the big difference that, as with the book version of V1, everything is annotated. Since Nostrum is based on a true story, it seemed to make sense to, when the situation called for it, point out the nature of that true story. There’s also footnotes explaining some of the more obscure references, although admittedly most of the obscure references, which must have made sense at the time, now elude me completely. Too obscure for my own good, I guess.

For a while I entertained a Good Guy / Bad Guy website, and that material is also included in Volume 2, for what it’s worth.

More interesting is the Tennessee Williams High School chronicles. After the first Nostrum hiatus, I got the idea of a completely new series, told from the point of view of the participants. They would all have access to a blog, and the entries would update the world at large of what was going on with their team. The material is perfectly good, but at some point I realized that it wasn’t all that different from Nostrum, and that I preferred the Nostrum format over this one. So, as with all previous Nostrums, I just stopped in the middle. I am predictable, if nothing else, but then again, the nature of soap operas is that they begin in the middle and never end. What’s the difference between never ending and just stopping at some random point? None that I can see.

Finally, for the true fan, there are a few early drafts of material for Series 3. I started this and fairly quickly backed off. It was based on the TOC, and I found that the content was a little too mean spirited. With the passage of a couple of years, and a belief that nothing I can write would be mean spirited enough to match the actual event—if members of the VCA are unaware of my opinion of the TOC at this point, I will simply revert to my basic, “If the TOC didn’t exist, I wouldn’t invent it,” and let it go at that—I have changed my mind. The S3 material there isn’t terrible, but the narrative wasn’t there yet. The good news, or, if you prefer, the bad news, is that I now think that I have found the narrative, and if you are patient and behave yourself for a couple of days, well, Wednesday is coming. I can feel it in my bones.

Meanwhile, I’ve made various changes to my jimmenick.com website, but these are incomplete. One thing I had hoped to do was throw it into an attractive modern design template, but that I admittedly demurred from. After all, I was only off for a week, and there was wining and dining to do and family obligations and magazine reading and clearing off my Netflix queue. So, it all looks ploddingly similar to what it looked like before.


Welcome to the Bahamas.

-----


No comments: