Tuesday, August 18, 2015

In which we are officially Admiral, Ret.

They said it couldn’t be done.

A couple of weeks later, they did it.

I have been replaced.

Sigh.

Word is that the Sailors have found a willing soul to whom to give both a day job and the team. Approval from the board should be forthcoming in a week or two. I can’t tell you who it is because every description I’ve seen spells his name differently and parenthetically apologizes for it probably being the wrong spelling. It’s not someone familiar to me, though. In other words, much needed fresh blood, in an activity that’s seen a lot of blood-letting lately.

At least it wasn’t by a robot. But I have to admit that it’s a funny feeling. Retiring felt sort of final, but that was undermined by working backstage on about 30 tournaments at the same time. But knowing that a warm body has been captured in the wild and will, if all goes according to plan, soon be leading the tars down the yellow brick road without any need of me whatsoever, is true closure. It’s not as if I were wavering or anything, but we ended last year as always, and this summer has gone as always (and maybe even moreso, what with my upped commitment to the Bronx), so it hasn’t felt real. But getting new topics and not having the gobs over to the chez to hash it out is starting to bring it home, added, as I say, to the new commander coming on board. I have, for all practical purposes, now completed walking the plank.

Splash. Gurgle, gurgle

gurgle

gur

g


No comments: