Wednesday, January 07, 2015

In which we point ourselves at New Jersey

The last few days have been mostly spent working on the Newark tournament. It’s unique in many ways, not the least of which is single-flighted VLD. That requires an awful lot of judges, and I don’t know what hat Jonathan pulls them out of, but there they are. With 11 judges in each pref band, this should be a joy. There will also be a handful of Blue Ribbon judges, automatic 1s for everyone. JA has mixed feelings about MJP, so this way he gets to keep the teeming masses content while satisfying his own desire for unique judging experiences beyond one’s own wheelhouse, so to speak. It should be interesting to see how this plays out in tab. It’s like having wildcards to deal out. Where should they go? I’m sure there will be much discussion of this over the next couple of days.

There’s also the Round Robin. Say what you will about tabroom (all right, let’s rephrase that: say what I will about tabroom), it does an awful lot of stuff really well, RRs among that number. Click the odd button, and bang, all the pairings for all the rounds. I did the judges round-by-round because I wanted to make sure that we were using everybody the way JA wanted them used (some to death, some just as they came up). I did it first with repeat judging, then went back and did it even better without repeats. Kowabunga! There is nothing so nice in tournament management as having more judges than you know what to do with.

Somehow in all of this I managed to forget to create the Stuyvesant MHL. Maybe it’s because I’m not particularly sanguine about its chances for breathing life into the league. I’ll have it ready tomorrow. I will make it clear to the teeming millions that if they don’t support this one, well, three strikes and it might be out.

No comments: