Monday, April 07, 2014

In which we plan to head West

I’m getting ready for NDCA next weekend in Ogden, Utah.

First, there’s a tentative website switch from the present WordPress site. I ported that site over to Squarespace.com this weekend, and most of it came over fine, if not exactly where I wanted it. That’s a good start. Mostly all I have to do is convince the board to spend $8 a month where now they’re spending $0 a month. Honestly, I think most of them would kill to get my cockamamie blog off the front page, which a switch would do, so $8 should seem well worth it to them.

There’s also a panel on Friday night, ostensibly about communication. I have a feeling it will devolve into a discussion of what anyone wants to discuss. Nothing wrong with that.

There’s also a Council of Tournament Directors kicking around, and I’d like to get in on that. Having put together the Toolkit makes me at the very least an interested party.

And then, of course, there’s the job I’m going there to do, which is to cover some PF judging from the Bronx HS of Scientology. Having been basically barred from tab because I’m on the board, aside from hanging out with Kaz, I think I’ll actually see some rounds. This is good, because it means I will marginally know what I’m doing next year when I start up coaching the event again. O’C has asked me to rent a van so that I can transport some of his judge thugs around, so I guess I’ll be doing that too. And breathing that clean Utah air blowing off the mountains. And, I hope, getting together with some people I’ve been talking to online about some very serious issues to discuss them in person.

After that, I am officially done for the season, although I think I’ll have my hands filled with the results of all the various discussions. But I will be switching here mostly to DisAd14 mode. If there’s one thing I know about the VCA, they may be forensicians at heart, but when the tournament is over, they really want to go to Disney World.

No comments: