Sunday, May 30, 2010

But I don't know what Elvis this is!

This is pretty amazing. Typing on the iPad is much easier than I expected, and the floating spell fixer is nifty.

Did I say I got an iPad?

I bought the large wifi one. My mother taught me as a child always to get the most memory they sell, and she was right. I've never regretted having too much memory in any device I've ever bought, and always rued getting too little. We'll see if that makes a difference this time.

Starting friction was small, but not nonexistent. Either the iTunes store was swamped or my pad just wasn't getting there for a while, but that eventually ironed itself out. All my Touch apps came in, and I'd say 90% of them are keepers. Some of them have already morphed into iPad apps, taking up the whole screen rather than a touch-sized portion in the middle. My guess is that iPad Civ is worth the price of admission. I'm typing this in Pages, the iworks word processor, which I also expect to use for work. I haven't gotten too many other newbies yet; I don't want to spend all my money the first day.

So why did I buy it? A variety of reasons, but mostly because everyone who has one loves it. I'll certainly use it as a book reader for the DJ (and the chez). I'll watch videos in debate one-night cheap hotels. I'll play games when I should be tabbing. And maybe I'll even get my money's worth out of it.

We'll see. So far? I'm loving it.

No comments: