Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Break out the German dictionary, fraulein

Last night we talked mostly about Nov-Dec on the TVFT podcast. I should get it posted late tonight, after the Sailor meeting. Good stuff. Bietz was in Las Vegas playing Gai Pow Poker winning the WWE Meadows belt, and he heard a lot of rounds, and he brought back plenty of fuel for the rest of us. Interesting stuff.

One thing I’ve got to do is put together my religion pieces into a single essay. As soon as I get a minute… Very interesting that Levi-Strauss, the inventor of structural dungarees for savages, died Friday when the final posting went up. Who knew that he was a member of the VCA? I guess he felt that he could finally let go, knowing that I’d be carrying on for him. I’m obviously intrigued by structuralism, and find it a useful tool for understanding human nature. It doesn’t necessarily answer questions, but it does provide a methodology for asking questions, and that’s a start. To be honest, though, in college we studied CLV for the literal content of his cross-cultural studies more than anything else. That’s what anthropology did in those days. Do they still have anthropology in colleges? My guess is that it’s been pomo’d into a bloody pulp, but I may be wrong.

I was looking at the new PF ballots that Apple Valley is sampling this weekend. They look pretty clean to me. The biggest problem in PF is, always, getting judges to fill out the ballots correctly the first time. They are inevitably the most heavily crossed-out and corrected that we see. I’m amazed that we don’t make more tabbing errors, to tell you the truth, ballot format notwithstanding, given the fluidity of the rounds and who’s doing what. Anyhow, I guess at some point we’re all going to have to go 2 minute Final Finagle, but we haven’t done it anywhere yet where I’ve tabbed. The TRPC ballots still have the old 1 minute, of course. I guess I’ll have to upgrade at some point; I’m in March of 08 (in more ways than one). No doubt the CFL will maintain it’s own version of the whole business. I can just see old Benny the Pope sitting there talking to his forensics-liaison Cardinal (a Jesuit): “Ve gotta keep them Pfffters in line, meine Rote Vogel.” Catholics caught Pfffting NFL (non-Catholic Forensic League) style are immediately marked for eternal damnation. That always has been the downside of the CFL. Break an NFL rule, and people blog about it. Break a CFL rule, and you go to hell.

Tough business, this debating.

No comments: