Thursday, April 02, 2009

Tech on ice; Sailors sans beans; tabbing for dollars

A day without the Touch is like a woman without a bicycle. (That doesn’t sound right. Whatever.) It’s a fate worse than death, and it means all tech bets are off for a while, because I put all the data reminding me what accounts I have where with what passwords onto the Touch. Oh what a tangled web we weave when we tangle with the web. (That doesn’t sound right either. See what happens when you rely too much on technology?)

So, general updates.

The official Sailor debate season is over. This Tuesday we shut things down with a traditional game of Bean Trivia. Note the name of the game. Now, first question: What did I forget to bring with me? You guessed it. I had even bought a whole new bag of industrial strength kidney beans just for this event, and they remained exactly where I left them at the top of the stairs so that I wouldn’t forget them. Right. Still, the game proceeded as if we were rolling in legumes. I deliberately made some of the questions a little easy (with answers like Rihanna, whoever that is), while admittedly some of them required a tad of special knowledge, such as who popularized the song “Struttin’ With Some Barbecue” (automatic win if you also know who wrote the song). Favorite question: Film featuring the character “McLovin,” just because I like saying McLovin. In keeping with the rules set at the Lex RR, lifelines were in play, including Text Anybody, Ask Cruz and Ask a Coach. This meant having O’C handy, but he stayed near the phone, his allegiance to Bean Trivia second only to his allegiance to George Lucas. There were those who interpreted texting anybody, asking Cruz and asking a coach as, identically, three separate opportunities to ask Cruz, and I was hard-pressed to disallow these interpretations. Meanwhile, I am amazed at the things that O’C knows, which he really should clear his head of at the first opportunity. I mean, it’s one thing to be the chief contributor to the Wookieepedia, and another thing altogether to memorize the credits of Jim Carrey films. Anyhow, after a fierce battle, a playoff between SuperSquirrel and the Panivore resulted in a narrow victory for Miss Malnutrition of 2009 (who, by the way, should probably be renamed the Crapivore, because she eats any kind of junk you put in front of her provided it is certified nutrition-free by the FDA).

Of course, I’m not completely abandoning the Sailors, since there are a couple of events still to come, NY States (sigh) and CatNats (where I’ll learn more about PF; read the comment to my PF entry this week if you haven’t already, suggesting the paradigm is parent judging). We’ll chez up for these events in hopes of some decent prep, but that always cuts out the ribbon clerks, meaning, as I say, we’re in the postseason. There’s also the Chetanic RR in a couple of weeks, but if S-S doesn’t understand ICC at this point, there’s no hope.

And so another forensic year fades into the dust.

Which brings us to next year. I have updated the Google Calendar. (And why is everything on Google still marked as beta? Have they simply redefined beta as omega?) This is northeast-centric, but it does have a few $ircuit events on it. Feel free to let me know if I’ve gotten something wrong, or if you think I should add something.

We also had a conference call last night doing some preplanning among our traveling tab army. There are some questions about who will be where, when, and what needs improving and why, plus a few other thisses and thattas. I’ve still got to send out a report to all the MHL folks wrapping up the year, plus we’ve got to address next year’s Northeast Championships (we have some important upgrades to make there). All issues regarding next year pretty much have to be settled this year because of team budgeting and the like. We’re on the case. That’s what you’re paying us for, right? (Or what you would be paying us for, if you or anyone else was paying us.)

Coachean Feed

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

No comments: